Mountain Lions

We saw two cougars during mid-day on a trip up to Chalone. Two Coyotes as well.

If a mtn lion was crossing the road on my property, letā€™s just say I wouldnā€™t hit the brakes to miss it.

Only time I ever encountered a Mountain Lion was wile driving to our families cabin in the Sierra Nevada at night. We came around a corner and the big cat was crossing the road. It turned to look at our Bronco and just continued to saunter across the highway as if to say ā€œFU Iā€™m the baddest mofo around hereā€. Our friend sleeping in the back woke up and asked why we stopped. He was sorry he missed the cat but saw one a few years later at Rancho San Antonio Open Pace preserve (referenced above) a few years later.

Mountain lions deserve respect. Yes, they are a top predictor that can interact with humans. Just respect them, avoid encroaching on their habit, and live and let live.

The problem here is when lions view little human girls and small women as very tasty appetizers before the main course of German Shepherds & Labrador Retrievers.

People who think that lions look at you as anything other than ā€œDinnerā€ are people who might be so stupid that Charles Darwin could well have the last laugh.

And Iā€™m not kidding about those rabies immunoglobulin prices - from what Iā€™ve read - they will bankrupt a normie.

[rofl.gif]

Rombauer!

They donā€™t. Sorry.

Iā€™m sure that girls strayed ahead or off from the group and triggered an instinctual reaction.

A lot of the mountain lions here have tracking devices broadcasting their gps. Itā€™s also normal these days for people living up in the foothills and mountains to have motion operated cameras. The lions are around people all the time. We arenā€™t their preferred food, and thereā€™s no shortage of food for them. Deer and the other critters thrive around human population, driving their numbers artificially high.

Cougars hunt the same way as house cats - taking their prey from behind. They donā€™t get rabies at anywhere near the rate as animals like dogs because of that. But, the behavior of any rabid animal will be completely different. If youā€™ve read about peoplesā€™ encounters with rabid raccoons, for example, itā€™s scary.

Child hospitalized after coyote attack in East Bay park

PUBLISHED: April 1, 2020 at 5:28 p.m. | UPDATED: April 1, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.

DUBLIN ā€” East Bay Regional Park District staff closed Dublin Hills Regional Park to visitors after a 5-year-old girl was attacked and bitten by a coyote Wednesday afternoon, authorities saidā€¦

Again, as I understand it, thatā€™s gonna be about $75K to $125K for that little girl to get a round of rabies immunoglobulin boosters.

Was the coyote dressed up as a mountain lion? Like, for April Foolā€™s or something?

That sounds like Nathan math to me. The rest of us will have to run the conversion into regular math. For instance, ā€œno good Chardonnay for less than $100ā€ in regular math is, plenty of good Chardonnay for under $30. $125,000 for rabies treatment is ā€œseveral hundred dollars with insuranceā€ obviously more if you donā€™t have insurance.

Also, apparently Coyote = Mountain Lion. I donā€™t have a conversion chart for that one though.

This article from two years ago is where Iā€™m seeing several hundred dollars for those with insurance. It cites total hospital bills for people bitten by wild animals of up to $22,000. Another article mentions a woman bit by a wild cat who received ER bills of $48K. That appears to be an extreme outlier based on some wild ā€œlist pricingā€ cited by the ER. I suspect that was greatly reduced during negotiations with the insurance company.

Iā€™m no fan of our health care model here in the U.S., but also believe itā€™s generally helpful to be accurate and avoid extremes of hyperbole.

1 Like

I once heard a story of two mountain lions working together in going after prey. Sounds twice as frightening.
Phil Jones

Substantially less in most cases.

You might pay more for toilet paper or an N95 mask these days.

FIFY

Fox captured on Capitol Hill after biting 9 people tests positive for rabies
Fox captured on Capitol Hill after biting 9 people tests positive for rabies - ABC News

This story, which everyone thought was so ha-ha-ha funny, just yesterday, suddenly got very, very ugly.

Again, my understanding is that at standard Emergency Room markups, weā€™re talking roughly ONE MILLION DOLLARSā€™ worth of rabies immune globulin to save those folksā€™ lives.

Stay the hell away from wild mammals.

No good will come from congregating with them.

Which reminds me, P-22 actually walked by the front of our house twice when he came through the neighborhood a couple weeks ago. I didnā€™t see him, but he went past a few neighborsā€™ cameras and I did hear the coyotes going insane around the same time. Totally urban neighborhood just east of Hollywood. He ignored a friendsā€™ pair of standard poodles that were barking at him, which surprised all of us.

In my area we are starting to get more reports of mountain lions, especially at houses which have pools. One person even has video of a big cat hopping in his pool to either cool off or bathe.

Our local congressman was attacked by a fox (and bit) a couple of days ago, and is taking the rabies shot cycle currently. We have such issues with turkeys here that I suppose all these mid sized predators must be feasting in suburbia.

Itā€™s fine, you can pay the bill in fiat electrons.

1 Like