Mourning with Stuart Beaunehead

This says it perfectly:

\

Port is weird. So much older Port on the market at prices way below current release. I stopped buying with the 1994 vintage.

My plan is to stop the day I retire. Until then it’s full speed ahead.

I only need to make it to 87.4142059, so I had better get to work.

The youngest bottle of Port I bought was a Fonseca 2000. I will not buy more of that. The youngest bottle of red Burgundy is 2006. Maybe I will pick up a few more bottles, but not likely. Almost everything else is still in the cards.

Maybe you guys could get serious about collecting and aging CHEESE: the maturation curve is much quicker.

champagne.gif [snort.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

I hadn’t realized how true this is. Empty nest next year…completely empty, just me. Will retire in a few years or run for judge very soon. A good time to start thinking about what habits I need to discard or acquire to be more mindful and present. If I had ten years left at my current job I’d NEED the escape of wineshopping.

I agree. Between the ability to buy much older Port at about the same price as current releases, and the fact that everyone not named Agrawal or Bronstein opens fewer than six bottles a year of the stuff, it’s hard to imagine the reason to buy recent vintages, even if you’re in your 20s or 30s.

Was Zibibbo the one in Palo Alto or is that their sister restaurant? Anyone in SF who wants to join some wine geeks tomorrow @ Les Clos is more than welcome. We’ll be there at 6:30 (bring something and ask where Alex and Van will be seated)

How many bottles are we talking?

If one goes through 200 bottles a year (including gifts, corked, etc), the math tells me a 2000 bottle cellar will be dry in 10 years with a full buying freeze.

Plenty of cheese around already - not much maturation but plenty of cutting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck storming the castle, George!

Yes. It’s the grape we know as Muscat of Alexandria.