Moving daughter to NYC, need dining recs

Have looked through the recommendations above and there are some wonderful choices. Thank you so much, this is pure gold to me.

Some thoughts to give a sense of my frame of reference:

https://www.kajitsunyc.com
Kaiseki and looks like very good and vegetable rich kaiseki. On my list.

Overseas sushi (overly pricey and authentic-ish). Looks good, but the truffles and salmon are a bit telling. Saito in Tokyo by comparison is $250 and I like to go there with guests. For a daily sushi spot you would be looking at more like $30-40 tops and that would be very high grade. Lunch specials are $15 and are still quite high grade.

Sushi (but not Japanese sushi restaurant style). Gyoza and tempura are the tells. Lots of PR push on this place, but the menu is not reflective of what a sushi place in Tokyo would offer. Ultimately probably a secondary alternative,

https://www.studioonefiftyone.com
Hitting on a lot of points. Pricewise very reasonable and sushi focused too. The salmon and California Uni tell you that it is a US based shop but the overall impression makes this place a solid choice right up front. Definitely on my list.

An izakaya that nails the needs of a 20-something year old on all counts. Not for sushi per se, but for the whole vibe, fun, varied menu, place to hang with friends etc. Love the al fresco setting, reminds me of Tokyo.

Japanese soul food. Loving everything about this. Mentaiko Spaghetti for the win.

Tempura and looking great. Reasonable pricing and unlike sushi, tempura is easy to do overseas. Going to give this a go for sure.

Strictly overseas sushi but at great prices so an easy yes.

1 Like

Sasabune Express is excellent, my aunt and uncle live on the corner by it. I didn’t include it in my recs as it’s midtown east, not really in the neighborhood to either NYU or 34th/Murray Hill. $20 corkage IIRC. If you’re going up there though and you’re into Japanese food, you definitely have to include a shopping trip at Katagiri, the OG NYC Japanese market. It’s across the street, 59th bet 2-3rd but not far from the corner of Second.
http://katagiri.com/

Love reading your impressions. Thank you.

Kajitsu is absolutely incredible. Not sure if you know Miyamasou in Kyoto, the Kajitsu owners are related.

And sadly high-end sushi in NYC is now between $400-1000! That is why Cagen is such a great value.

Secchu is a absolutely great feel free to mention my name.

And on Studio151 just know it is a vinyl based music venue first and foremost, the 2nd floor of club Nubu. It is a really fun experience but just know what it is before going. And I would think great for someone in their 20s.

And on Yoshino from what I know Chef is on the level of Saito.

I am surprised at the $400-1000 price tag. Quite interesting that they think they can charge more than in Tokyo for fish that is not nearly as fresh unless it is not what we are eating in Japan. And his is after walking in form and having to return to a NY street. Hmmm… I think I will just go with, "Naruhodo”. The vinyl scemne as[ect to 151 actual;y makes that more intriguing. I love that. As for Saito level, I would be dubious, but that is not to say it is not also quite enjoyable if overseas.)

The options so far are very exciting and I am always keen for any more that you my have. She is going to enjoy this upcoming move enormously I think.

The fish is cheaper in Japan because it comes from Japan.

Cagen is the bomb! If I only go to one place, that’s it. And surprisingly enough (although not a surprise to Robert), the music is a real enhancement to the experience!

Surprisingly, my vegetarian wife finds Kaijitsu too austere for her, let us know what you think.

Anyone know about Sushi 35 West for takeout? I never heard of it, but Time Out had it as one of the 12 best new restaurants, with a great review and attractive prices.

Fish prices for Japanese fish yes, but if they are striving for freshness then locally sourced fish makes sense. If authenticity is the goal that is already shot to some extent with freezing it and flying it. My sense is that great chef can often make the most amazing things with locally sourced ingredients. Just my opinion though. It is highly unlikely that the $400-1000 price tag is due to shipping costs alone. If the best in the world can be had in Tokyo (or elsewhere in Japan) or $200-500 then it seems it is more likely just a price adjustment there based on what the market will bear based on demand and perceived supply.

I will definitely report back on the Kajitsu experience. I really understand that comment though, I often feel the same way here.

I am really loving the fact there are so many Japanese food fans out there with so many recommendations. I foresee her not missing food here too much.

Tell it to the chefs!

Speaking of sushi… my daughter and I enjoyed Omakase at Shinn East in the east Village. $69 and mind blowing. It’s very Japanese looking. Clean and neat. Sushi was mouth watering. 45 minutes, and nicely paced. Reservations a must. We got lucky as walk-ins. They serve on the hour.

If anyone is following me on Facebook, photos to follow. FYI, you’d walk right by this place if you were restaurant shopping.

I think even the most hard to please of my Japanese sushi eating friends would enjoy Shinn East. [wink.gif] the story — shinn new york

It looks very good indeed. My daughter has the details in her phone now. i will be keen to try it myself. Visually for now though a home run.