Mushroom powder pasta?

I think this will work well as long as you can really pulverize. that’s not even that important unless you’re doing a pasta where the cut is super important. dried mushroom bits can just be hard to cut through and screw up pretty lines. but if its truly a powder it works well.

I did end up trying this shortly after posting; forgot to come back and post the results.

It was possible. The dough was more difficult work than regular dough, and had a grainy texture (apparently I didn’t get the mushroom powder fine enough). It cooked fine. Barely-perceptible mushroom flavor, and that could have been my brain tricking me into thinking I was tasting it.

Verdict: it was fun to try; it was a lot of work relative to regular/plain pasta; way more “party trick” than “culinary genius.” Won’t be doing it again.

I have, since that time, done squid ink pasta a few times (cuttlefish ink, to be precise), and that is worth the extra effort!

next variant: beet juice.

Where does one purchase squid ink?

Specialty purveyor. Also available online.

Well tonight I made a mushroom risotto and rather than rehydrating the dried mushrooms I ran them through a spice grinder and ended up with a fine powder. Used a few tablespoons added to the Arborio rice as I added some chicken broth. Great flavor and would use the mushroom powder for a gravey or other sauce.

1 Like

Thanks for this! I have some dehydrated morels that I’ll try out in that fashion.