Must eat fine dining NYC

don’t think so either. But we can certainly turn to casual eats as well. My wife and I do need to eat lunch for at least two days together :slight_smile:

Since Charlie posted the “$50 :slight_smile: matter of principle” thread, he deserves all the thread hijacks and drifts that come his way!!

I just happened to see the Food Network clip with Bako Jewel (and Degustation). Has anyone been to Bakp Jewel. Honestly I probably wouldn’t go for straight ahead sushi in NYC because we have so much great sushi in L.A. and there are so many other cuisines in NYC. However the dishes that they showed from Bako looked non-traditional and tasty.

Since you’ll be staying in the W at Lexington, I’m sorry to say that it’s a wasteland as far as excellent walking-distance casual non-fine dining restaurants are concerned. I live close to the area and we will endure the 10 minute cab ride elsewhere in Manhattan for good eats.

A close walking-distance by locals standard, for a very, very good lunch is at Yasuda on 44th (bet 3rd and 2th Ave.), which I think was already suggested. Even as I blown away by the great sushi/sashimi in SF area when I worked/lived there in the early 2000s, Yasuda and even other NYC Japanese beat them with the great fishes. Have to reserve in advance.

You are also about 15 – 20 minutes walking distance to the Bar Room at the Modern. This is the casual Alsace-inspired restaurant in the Museum of Modern Art along 53rd (bet. 5/6 Ave). I like the wine list here. I think you can walk in and get a table, but I always play it on the safe side by reserving when on a trip.

If you are willing to take a cab or the subway, or even the bus (yes, Manhattan buses are pretty cool and we love them here), then going further south of your hotel and all within 20 minute cab ride, you will get to Maialino (very good Italian), Casa Mono (Spanish large than tapas-sized dishes), ABC Kitchen for good American fare, 2nd Avenue Deli (in case you want to chime in with your own first-hand non-Katz the pastrami-on-rye discussion above) and all the way to the East Village for Momofuku Ssam, Hearth, Terroir (an excellent wine bar with the most robust Riesling wines that I’ve seen anywhere in the US), and many many others that I can’t recall now.

I have no qualms taking a taxi/subway/walking. So all recs are welcome. We’ll travel far if it’s really good :wink:

I haven’t been there in several years, but in my opinion, it is part of a group of restaurants that appeals to tourists.

Well I GUESS I am still a tourist, but my lunch date clearly is not. But to make it perfectly clear to everyone there that I AM a tourist from CA, I’ll wear white pants. [cheers.gif]

And don’t forget to gawk at the big buildings :slight_smile:

I just emailed him and asked him to change the reservation to the Greek-kind-of-seafood place we went to last time. Probably end up having lunch by myself, on account of being so picky.

Peter - Diane and I have a running joke about white pants. I wore them in October, once, in NYC and Diane was ready to disown me. I think that’s the history. Some things take on a life of their own.

I see. Well, the maker of “black cat” cabernet should definitely not wear white pants!

Apparently NOT after Labor Day or before Memorial Day. The owner of the “beauty shop” I was in this morning was wearing white SHORTS. I did not break the news to Diane yet.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. Not going to Red Eye Grille. champagne.gif

Good. NYC is full of tourist traps, this sounds like one of them.

[quote="Merrill Lindquist] Apparently NOT after Labor Day or before Memorial Day. The owner of the “beauty shop” I was in this morning was wearing white SHORTS. I did not break the news to Diane yet.
[/quote]

Well there’s White, and my wife (who you met when we came over with the Gelbs) taught me there’s Winter White.
Btw, we Californians don’t have to abide by the Memorial day rule. It was 85 here today.

We just went to Casa Mono and loved it. See the “New York with 13 year old” thread for some details including Ramon’s menu recommendations.

Apparently the original rule only applied to white shoes, not white clothing in general.

Better than either of the other two?
I want something a little informal too.

I love a leisurely late Saturday lunch in the back room at Lupa. They make a mean Sidecar, as well as having a fun wine list, but I’m not there for the wine.

Each of the restaurants is different and I think run by different vendors at Eataly. You can’t generalize by “The restaurant at Eataly isn’t good.” WIDE variation across venues. I love the seafood restaurant there.

Aha! Thanks, Wilfred. If you say it’s good, we’ll have to give it a try sometime.

lupa is my favorite of the bunch. esca is equally good but mostly seafood and it limits some people’s choices.
it may be a little too informal, but is usually the one i recommend.

I like Esca a lot.