My crawl space cellar project

Wow, my crawl space is only 3 feet and would have to crawl into it to get this done. Nice job, wish I could do that.

Maybe you could set one up designed around using a mechanics creeper!

Jason, it took right at 2 months. I worked a few evenings a week plus one weekend day each week. Before that, i spent a couple weeks drawing up the plans and coming up with the materials list.

That certainly would have been much easier!

Yeah Mike, growing up in Atlanta, we always had basements in our houses. Up here in Charlotte they are definitely not common. I was fortunate that my lot had enough slope in it on the back corner of the house to give me some height in the crawl space on that side. The crawl space also does a good job of moderating the temperature. When it was 100 degrees outside, the crawlspace temp didn’t get above 75 degrees.

Wow. Awesomeness.

Can u give a estimate of how much it cost to build this?

Construction materials including the wood for the racks was right around $1000. The air unit was $1100. I already had all the necessary tools (saws, nail guns, compressor, etc.), so no extra cost there. I rented a cement mixer to do the concrete.

There is one huge problem I can see already, you are almost out of space! Time to enlarge!

Very nice, really.

Haha, thanks Paul. I’m only at about 60% of capacity, so I’ve got a little room to grow into. Plus, once it fills up it will help regulate my buying (I know easier said than done)!

Yeah, I thought filling my cellar would regulate my buying. It didn’t.

Are the racks tied into the wall for stability?
Cool project.

Good luck with that Tim, here’s my 956 capacity cellar
I didn’t think I would fill.
20150404_063117.jpg

Very nice Tim, professionally done. And, love the template for the racks, if you get a chance can you send a better picture of the template.

Really nice!

Where does your cooling unit vent? How much do you find it running ? What did you set the temp to?

Thank so"

The display racks on the right side are nailed into the studs on the wall. The racks on the left side are just free-standing as they are very heavy and stable (especially with wine loaded in them).

Wow, thanks impressive David! We will see what happens when the time comes [cheers.gif]

Here is one more picture of the template. I just took some plywood as the base, scrap 2x4s around the outer perimeter, then pieces of 1x2 as the stops for the horizontal pieces. So I would just lay in the three tall vertical pieces (already placed in the picture below), then add each horizontal piece with a drop of glue and a brad nail from the nail gun.

Adam, the cooler vents out into the crawl space behind the cellar where there is plenty of volume and airflow. I have the minimum temp set at 56 with a 4 degree differential. So basically, when it gets to 60 it cuts on, and when it gets to 56 it cuts off, making the average temp 58. It’s hard to say how often it’s running since it’s in the crawl space and I can’t hear it (i’ve been very happy with the low noise level). During the really hot weeks we had this summer, I would say it was on >75%. Now, probably 50% if I had to guess. I wish I had an easy way to know for sure. I could get one of those electric usage monitors and plug it into that.

This makes me want to start on my space so badly… But I’m scared. You made it look easy!

Those are the best looking homemade wine racks I’ve ever seen. Nice work! champagne.gif