My daily wineconsumption is way to much for the wrong reason

Same here. Short of corked, it gets drank.

quasi thread drift here, but great pic Charlie and how appropriate for the topic! :smiley:

I’m in the ‘short of corked, I drink it’ club.

+1

Not for me. I don’t dump 'em regurlarly but I see what Otto is getting at. Probably happens once a week for me. If a wine I open doesn’t taste good to me, I’ll dump it. One caveat though, it has to be a cheapie. If a bottle costs me anything more than 20 bucks then I’m sucking that thing down. I’m not that crazy…

I am surprised that so many people would rather suffer through sipping on maderized, or Bretty or VA’d wine rather than dump the crap. I mean, it’s like you guys are into pain!!! [dash1.gif]

Otto

Yeap, it was an '03

Otto - I agree, if it is “Flawed” I dump it out. But if I spent money on something and it is is merely okay, I may still have a glass or two. Case in point…Traci opened an 04 Outpost Grenache the other night. I had about 1/2 a glass before I decided that I didn’t like it and went back to my glass of water. Night number 2 it was better and I had a glass after dinner…glad I didn’t dump it!!!

Tony, I agree with you. When wines are off, they sometimes will turn 360 with a day or 2 in the fridge. Only recently I had posted on several wines that came back on day 2-3, not to be recognized from what they tasted on day 1.

But when the wines are flawed, down the drain they go, regardless of the price. Unless of course it was purchased locally, in which case I take it back for a replacement. The retailers have always been very accomodating.

I’m stunned that you’re finding that many wines…what…$20-30 you said…that are flawed. Do you think these are faults with the brand, or just isolated bottles? Give us some label names.

Sure, I can find underfilled, no finish, kind of bitter, kind of acidic, smells different kinds of bottles, but “flawed” to me is just the corked, brett VA/EA stuff. Granted, there are some with no flaws per se that are just unappealing to me: way too ripe, really stewed smell and the like, and I may actually dump those, depending upon my mood. But, I wouldn’t expect to find them in the $20-30 price range either.

Hi Otto,

I have similar experiences to yours, but not with your frequency. . .perhaps I am just not as adventurous as you are! Some evenings I begin to think that my palate has gone screwey until I get to that 3rd good bottle, usually of a product that I know. These are usually not flawed, but are just badly made wines. I have learned to avoid certain products: any Pinot Noir from the wine lineup at your typical supermarket, most Italian reds for under $50, mass produced Napa Cabs., etc. Admittedly there is an occasional gem among these categories, but the rejection ratio for me is 90% or more. It seems such a waste to toss them, but it would take a pretty twisted palate, IMHO, to appreciate some of these. For awhile I started a vinegar project, but once I got to over 5 gallons of vinegar. . .you can only give away so many wine bottles full of vinegar to your friends!

I’ve only dumped one bottle as it was a gift and it was some sort of cheap crap. I tried it, but blech! I’ve also never come across a corked bottle. Now granted I’ve only opened maybe 150 bottles in my house since I’ve gotten into wine, but that seems pretty unheard of. Either that or I just like the taste of corked wine!

There’s been plenty of times we’ve opened more than one bottle to find some that is satisfactory but I don’t usually dump it unless it’s corked, I will hang onto it for a little while and try to use it for cooking, as long as it’s not really nasty.

Hell even if it’s corked i’ll use it to cook. THrow in some plastic wrap and cook with it.

There’s a difference between “flawed” and “I don’t like the wine”. I don’t think anyone is arguing with dumping flawed bottles.

Ha Bruce, you called it right. Lately inexpensive reds from Italy, like last night’s Amarone, then had some bad Barbarescos, Valpolicellas and Chiantis. Also Champagne from different sources that were cooked and had strong smell of furniture polish. Yeah I can call and ship it back, but too lazy for that.

I admitedly I am a very impatient person and have very low tolerance for something that displeases my palate. And besides with all this dumping, I am still a net accumulator.

Otto

I think we learned during the summer, there are very few good wines under $40 =P
EDIT: FROM ITALY.

Not from France or Germany…

…or Spain or Italy…

edited, only from Italy are there no good wines under $40, if Mark didn’t bring a Colgin that day to wash away the filth of crappy Italian wine, my palate would have been ruined for the summer.
OF COURSE since we don’t know much about Italian wine we could have just picked the shittiest. But… I’ve had sub $50 Italian wines from “italian wine lovers” and i really disliked them. gosh maybe my palate isn’t sophisticated enough for Italian wines (so say Italian wine lovers)