my Jewish grandma’s stuffed cabbage

Nana also made great kreplach but that recipe is long lost. Do you have one?

We don’t Alan but sounds like a good project for my wife and I. If we find something we like will circle back.

And I never forgave my nana for making stuffed cabbage. Roasted fresh tongue want my favorite, but pickled tongue :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I still pickle them myself

Your mother must have spent too much time with the goyim. Bread crumbs? WTF? Rice, except for Passover, Matzoh meal. My mother, who made it for probably over 75 years, discovered at about age 80 an easier way to separate the leaves. Freeze the cabbage all the way through and then thaw it. I tried it, it worked, but I did not like the texture. I asked my mother about it and she said that when you got to be 80 years old and had been making them since you were a little girl, she was entitled to a short cut. AND that is from someone who used to manually stretch her dough for knishes on a linen table cloth on the kitchen table. Also, you left out the prunes for the sauce to add to the raisins.

1 Like

This is very similar to the version from my Russian Jewish grandmother. We loved it as kids. However, our best memories were when she was too old to still cook this and she began to buy a “similar” product to fool us. We all knew but always still told her how wonderful it was. flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I love stuffed cabbage but nobody in my house can/will eat it . Fortunately there is a kosher store/butcher near me who makes 3 different kinds: Beef, chicken, and tofu. Tastes like my mother/grandmothers used to make so I pick up a couple periodically . I prefer the chicken one the most.

Made a batch last weekend - although Eastern European/Ukrainian version of Halupki passed down from my grandmother. Beef, egg, onion, white rice, salt, and pepper wrapped in cabbage and topped with tomato sauce.

1 Like

That is a shandah of MAJOR proportions, and I made Ma Po Tofu with Mussels last night as a side dish.

I may queue this up for an app at one of the seders. (Rice in the filling, no kitniyot dilemma here)

Old joke abour kreplach is you dont want to know what is in them. But good recipes are on the web. Use fresh lasagna sheet as skin if headed for soup… egg roll wrappers if headed for the fry pan.

have made this 3 times in last few weeks. Just great comfort food when it’s cold and rainy. Tastes better second and third days. Freezes well also though there’s rarely any left after a couple days.