My new glass...I need feedback

Left to right:

Mineralite
Liberte
GG

Dead even in nose and palate between Mineralite and the GG.

Wine is the shiznit.

[attachment=0]6D3E7336-75AF-48D0-9F30-C942B3051C69.jpeg[/attachment]
6D3E7336-75AF-48D0-9F30-C942B3051C69.jpeg

Chris, I’m having some difficulty telling which glass would be recommended for which wines. I’m sure you’re really busy getting this project off the ground, but it would be helpful for Berserkerday if you had some examples. (For example, does Nebbiolo and Burgundy fit best with 1855 (reds of great complexity) or Cru (single grape wines)?). Also from an interest standpoint, I would love to hear how you decided to make the shapes what they are, and what shapes/sizes accentuated what you were looking for

Ashish
Fantastic questions and thanks for asking them. I’d like to tell you I know. But, one of the overriding principles Alexander and I had when designing the stems was to avoid, within reason, categorizing wines to our glasses. There is a theme for sure. 1855 pays homage to Bordeaux and hence Bordeaux blends work best. Cru is Burgundian in it’s primary objective though your point on Nebbiolo fits here and we would advise this glass for that grape).

The shapes and glasses follow a few principles. The stems are all the same height. 23 CM. When we were prototyping the glasses we played with different openings, bowl sizes, bowl depth, width and flatness. We sought balance in the hand when holding wine and wanted to have a bowl that allowed for significant surface area with minimal volumes of wines poured.

Alexander and I feel very strongly that there is no perfect glass. Zalto, Sophienwald, Gabriel, Schott, Reidel, others, all make wonderful wine glasses. Visual appeal coupled with how they feel in the hand to how the wine shows are ultimately how the glasses are chosen. Our single most important design choices were driven by our impressions of how a significant number of wines, including the same wine separated by many years (1982 BDX vs 2015 BDX from the same producer for example), revealed themselves in our stems.

For example, we’ve found the 1855 to show Bordeaux blends quite well…but were very surprised how older Bordeaux showed in our Liberté glass after being decanted. Smaller bowl, taller chimney and a small opening allowed for focus of a wine that honestly fell apart in the 1855. We hope people experiment with our wine glasses with their wines.

If you want a generic rule of thumb? Big red wines (BDX, Syrah) - use the 1855, Burgundian and single grape varieties, go Cru, Reisling and bubbles, the Mineralité (acid shows very well in this stem) and the ‘universal’ glass - Liberté.

Hope that helps- if not, let’s discuss and expand from here.

Chris

They look really interesting & impressive Chris. Best of luck with this venture.

Glasses are in the hands of their appropriate shippers. Each of you have a letter in there from me as well. To those that didn’t make the first batch, I’ve emailed you and we’ll help you out when the next batch arrives.

Thank you for the tremendous interest and support. Now, I wait to see how you like them. Feel free to post your comments here or in Wine Talk but that is up to you as I cannot start a thread there for myself.

Also, the glasses are in plan brown boxes with bubble wrap. I’m sure some will die in transit. Such is life. Our packaging is almost complete and I think you’ll like that when it arrives. I don’t want you to think that I’ll be selling these sending them around in brown boxes. LOL…

in if not too late. Sending email.

+1

sent an email as well!

If you are up on the northshore ever and want to drop off some, I’d be happy to get my group give you feedback

Chris, I’m interested in purchasing a pair of Gabriel Glas Gold in the gift box for a friend. I went to your website but didn’t see any available. Do you have any inventory left or going to only sell your glasses moving forward? I’ll probably just purchase through Amazon at the end of this week otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Sent an email as well!

Viet - I do not, only a few 6 packs.

To the rest of you, started new primary job in SFO this week - responses delayed, I see your emails but am in ‘new guy’ phase. So, give me until Friday to get back to you please. To the rest who are in round 1 of distribution, some may see glasses in their mail as soon as tomorrow.

Phew!! Was worried my email didn’t go through :slight_smile: Thanks Chris for the response

Email sent. Better late than never!

SFO? Thanks for the heads up, Chris. Sorry that I overlooked this thread. Best of luck (you’ll need it - Corey is offering to show these around!

just received a liberte glass in the mail and thought i would post a quick comparison to gabriel gold (left)
IMG_3819.JPG
first impression is that it feels more weightier than the gabriel and the stem itself is not quite as thin. the bowl shape is more similar to a zalto, but it feels more balanced in hand. quality seems great. can’t wait to actually try it out. thanks chris!

Just got my stem in the mail. Looks fantastic. I’ll test it out this evening and report back!

Going to be an exciting weekend. Got home at 2 AM, to those who have emailed me, I’ll be replying this weekend as I catch up.

champagne.gif

Chris. Where are u shipping from?

Hope the goodies arrive today! :slight_smile:

Chicago, all went out first class USPS unless you were SUPER important and got 2+ stems. :slight_smile:…those went priority.