My Ongoing Blog Of Our Week In Champagne (& Paris)--9 Visits w/Pics/TNs UPDATED W/ FINAL THOUGHTS

Frank,

Great stuff. It looks like you had a blast and it is fun to live through you as I read this.

A couple of comments on Vilmart and Godme:

As you said Vilmart is almost always organic, but not all the time. As you said they follow the guidelines of the Ampelos Organization and I would put them more into the sustainable viticulture or lutte raisonnée category similar to where I would place someone like Anselme Selosse. Personally, I find this type of practice preferable to going for full certification in any category. It gives more flexibility (even if Ampelos is fairly strict, it doesn’t make you follow 100% organic practices, 100% of the time - you do have wiggle room to save your crops if the sky is falling). My view is keep it as natural as can be, but do it with common sense.

Hugues Godme is not just organic, but full throttle biodynamic. The guy is about as passionate as any when it comes to this and this is really what led to the family domaine splitting. It oversimplifies things, but essentially one side wanted flexibility (Sabine) and the other strict biodynamic practices only (Hugues). I don’t know if you got to tour the cellars or not, but they literally divided the original family cellars in half and built a wall (it started as a curtain) down the middle to keep them separate.

Brad. Have you visited Charles Dufour?

Brad, thanks for coming into the thread here and clarifying. If you would please, I’d ask that you stay on this blog journey with me and clarify details or enhance the picture as you just did so that in the end, what I have to offer is accurate. I hope that you will do this, as it benefits the community here, to include your expertise that we can rely upon.

At Godme, no, we stayed in the small reception space. When I made a purchase, I saw Dominique run out and go somewhere, I assume across the road to the caves to get my wines. Of the 9 visits, the context of the visits ranged from just tasting with Godme, to that of Miniere (which I will cover in my next entry) when we walked the vineyards, we sampled the vin clairs and we tasted the finished wines.

Russell,

No, never visited; tasted a bunch, but not at the domaine. To be honest, I haven’t visited them because I am not often a fan of the wines and find them to be extremely variable from wine to wine, release to release, and many times from bottle to bottle of the same wine from the same release.

The above said, just because I don’t really like the wines of someone doesn’t mean I don’t or won’t visit them. My normal rule on who I visit comes down to: who I like, who I am interested in, or who has invited me for a visit. With some folks, I don’t personally like the wine, but I am still interested in them or they have invited me in. I’m friendly with folks and in some cases have become good friends by bonding over not personally liking their wines, but understanding their passion and vision. We agree to disagree, but get along just fine and often learn from each other.

I don’t know a lot about organic farming in Champagne, but I just love this image you just painted in my mind’s eye. I imagine a curtain that divides people in an emergency room where you can hear everything going on despite your efforts to keep things separate. But in this case, the curtain literally divides a family and business!

I just cant believe Todd has two houses in Rilly! champagne.gif

Seriously Frank, great trip! I would like to reduplicate your performance one day!

Tuesday MINIERE

We began the day with a trip out to see Frederic Miniere. He is in Hermonville, which is on the upper left side of Reims (which I heard pronounced a few ways while I was there but most often I heard RAHNZ as the way it was said). To get to Hermonville, you have to head away from D26, towards the upper left corner of Reims. The drive is beautiful, and the village on arrival feels a little larger, more modern in the center of it. But like the other villages that have a rustic feel to them along D26, the same can be said for the small street Rue Saint-Martin that Miniere sits on. Here is a visual link: Google Maps

I have really enjoyed the Miniere wines, again thanks to Envoyer who introduced me to them. Both the Absolut and Influence (an ode to Anselme Selosse, who influenced Fredric during his 2 years that he spent time with him) have been terrific wines I had been enjoying so I communicated with Frederic Miniere for the visit a few months ahead of our arrival and he warmly accepted. His replies, aligned to his presence when we visited, was friendly, energetic. No better example than our visit when he spent 2 hours of his morning to see us, showing us the vineyards behind the winery, then the barrel room and tasting us through some of his vin clairs, as well as finishing up with letting me taste the entire range.

The Miniere legacy goes back 4 generations, with his great-grandfather starting it all and ultimately about a decade ago he and his brother, Rudolphe, took over the winery. There even used to be a castle-like structure from the earlier generation that was on the property, although that is now gone. However, the legacy of the family is carried on by the brothers, who farm several hectares on the south-facing exposure of the Hermonville slope. They farm organically, using a philosophy of respect and care for the vineyards that are their plots. Many of the plots are quite old, which you can read more about here from their website: Champagne Minière F & R - Champagne-Ardenne, Reims, Paris, Epernay

Tasting through the vin clairs, which you will see below, is very similar to tasting in California, where you might sit down and run through some barrels or finished blends in tank, much like I did during my visit last summer to see Jamie Kutch. You have finished wines that are essentially resting, begin readied to go to bottle. They may have been resting in cask (as you will see barrels from the Miniere barrel room below) or in stainless, which could vary based on the winery’s philosophy. At Miniere, everything rests in oak before it ends up heading for the second fermentation in bottle, to rest on the lees. In the photos below, you can see us tasting the vin clairs, which are vibrant and bright with acidity, along with low PHs. If I recall, Frederic said PHs around 2.9-3.0. The chardonnay (Absolu) tasted vibrant, crisp. And then the pinot noir sample, just a tiny bit darker with similar crispness and some red fruit qualities but of course.

Once we finished in the barrel room, we did some further walking about and then landed in the front of the winery, to taste through the finished wines from labeled bottle. I appreciate the Miniere style, as the wines are lower in dosage, but they float around the 3-6 g/l range, aside from the Brut Zero, which is 0 g/l. So, something for everyone but all of them to my liking.

One other cool note was getting to see the ‘audited’ wines, that show either the tags and/or the wax tops that show the wine was audited and approved by the local CIVC. The Champagne area is heavily regulated, from when you can pick, to how much you can pick, how much you hand off to the local distillery via the tailles portion, etc. I won’t go into this here, as candidly I am not well-read or comfortable enough to explain it but the gist is that there is plenty of regulation and conforming that must take place throughout the area.

I leave you with the photos of the property below, along with my TNs. I was a fan of the Miniere wines before I arrived, and I remain that way even moreso now that I have met Frederic, heard his passion and got to walk and taste with him. Terrific guy, the wines equally so.

• 2008 Minière F & R Champagne Symbiose Extra Brut - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    Blend of equal parts Chard and PN, with a light dosage of 2.5 g/l. Further, the two grapes are each pulled from the two single lieux-dits that sit behind the winery. The Chard is called les Voirmissa and the PN called les Moineaux. These 2 plots will eventually be released as single parcel wines to showcase their individual qualities. This has aromas of flowers and light wood. Green apple, tangerine, with plenty of structure, slate and mineral, with some a salty quality that reminded me of Godme’s Verzenay wines.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    This is base year of 2009, disgorged 09/2014 so this has some age as compared to my bottle I drank a few weeks ago (which was disgorged later in time). 6 g/l (which is lower in more recent disgorgements, closer to 4.5-5 now). Light wood aromas, lemon, good length with a richness/creamy touch of lemon curd along with pear and light mineral in the finish. Aging nicely and drinks with the Miniere polish that I enjoy. PS—this was Miniere’s first Absolu cuvee that he bottled and sold, releasing 2009s base before 2008, too.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Brut Zéro - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    No TNs on this? Does it make it to the US? This is a base of 2009 and 2010. No dosage, made with 25% Chard, 40% PM and 30% PN. This doesn’t pierce or get lean but it does have a col steely quality to it, along with some wood tones on the nose. Grapefruit and light tones of wood in the palate, along with lemon, cherry and showing a suave/ polished balance at what is now 8 years of age. Very good.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    Mostly base year 2011 (80%) with the remainder 2010. 6 g/l dosage and a composition of 25% Chard, 40% PM and 35% PN. Disgorged 10/2017. There is an aromatic of tobacco or dried herb on this vintage, which Frederic says is unique to 2011 and it’s distinctively the vintage signature. He calls it ‘tabac’, which is French for tobacco. The same note shows up in the palate, along with lime, a kind of guava note and light honey. The acidity is moderate and the wine to me seems quite approachable, finishing with a persistent lemon note.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    Base year 2007. This composition has no Chard, just a mix of PN and PM. Color is showing lightly gold, with a smoky aromatic that also seems lightly oxidative. I also paused on this wine because it reminded me very much of a still wine from CA, with slate and some astringence in the finish.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    This is composed very much like the non-Rose Influence, so it’s roughly equal parts Chard, PM and PN but there is slightly more Chard added to the Rose. Dosage is the same too at 6 g/l. This bottle was a base of 2012 and 2013, with about 6% still PN reserve wine added for color. Strawberry, lemon, with a zesty quality to the palate, along with light green apple. I really enjoyed the zesty quality, the energy of this Rose.

Posted from CellarTracker
My wife heads up the tiny Hermonville street to find Miniere.jpg
Miniere front of the domaine.jpg
Miniere's domaine.jpg
Miniere family history.jpg
Looking up the Hermonville slope from Miniere's winery.jpg
Another shot of the Hermoville slope.jpg
Miniere's old vine plot behind the winery.jpg
Miniere old vine.jpg
In Frederic Miniere's Vineyard with his dog Vic.jpg
Miniere is planting a new plot on the slope.jpg
Miniere press.jpg
Miniere barrel room.jpg
Auditing process.jpg
The CVC approval at Miniere.jpg
Absolu (the BdB cuvee) vin clair being tasted from tank.jpg
Sampling the 2017 Influence with Frederic Miniere.jpg
The Les Voirmissa BdN resting in tank.jpg
Miniere vines with tiny fruit already set.jpg
My wife and Frederic taste some 2017 vin clair.jpg
Me with Frederic Miniere.jpg
My next update will be with our afternoon visit to see Benoit Marguet of MARGUET in Ambonnay. Perhaps I can get that one posted this weekend. Thank you for reading.

You are killing it. Any chance you will see Jerome Blin??

Just an awesome thread, Frank. Love your enthusiasm!

Don’t let him fool you, he woulda bought those anyway. Who do you think got FMIII hooked on Vilmart?

BTW…can someone quickly explain the first two rules of Fight Club to Nordhoff?

…and one more thing: this thread makes me smile.

:slight_smile: I’ve only had three bottles, but I’ve enjoyed them all (and I drank all of each one alone).

Well, the chances are zero, since we are home now. You taught me something here as I had to look up Blin, had not come across him before. He is out in the Marne, to the west. We got close to him (kind of) with our visit to Mousse (blogging on that soon, it was a great visit), who is based in Cuisles. I’m intrigued by the Blin, I will ask Envoyer about it.

Charlie, I just put away the bottles I dragged back with me from Champagne this week. Just barely all fit in the cellar. I find myself once again at 99% of my cellar capacity, with about another 2% pending. [help.gif] Reminds me a lot of the photos I took of your cellar when I visited. I was looking at those the other day on my laptop…so, how is that going for you? [rofl.gif]

I bought new racking. Used up all of the space. Problem seems to be the same or worse… But its all good. nothing hanging out with some fellow WBrs wont fix!

Tuesday MARGUET

After we departed from MINIERE, we stopped in the center square of Hermonville for lunch. As compared the small villages along D26, which are sleepy and without much to eat (generally from my observations), Hermonville is a little more active and they had a cool restaurant called Mets Envies. We ate a cool three course lunch and then had to scoot back south for Ambonnay. Of all the appointments for the week, Marguet is the visit I screwed up on the commuting time needed to get there. Hermonville is on the upper left side of Reims, and with Ambonnay clear down on the lower right hand side to Reims (well, very well past Reims really), we were late. I really dislike being late anywhere, especially when it’s my fault for poor planning. We were to arrive 330PM to see Benoit Marguet, and to join the rest of a small group that were arriving at the same time. We got there about 4PM, and Benoit was already touring people through the barrel/cask room. We apologized, he was kind about accepting us in, and we joined in progress.

Benoit is an interesting guy, mixing both a Far East kind of spirituality and view into life, alongside a wit and sarcasm. He talked a lot about personal energy, and his alignment, our kinship with the earth, the environment, the natural things within it and how we have the ability to impact that energy and connect with it. He has this kind of calm, centered way of talking and exuding his personality, which truly comes out as a centeredness that is noticeable. What I failed to get a shot of were two examples of where this mindset/spirituality translates within his winery. In one example, between the two large oval/egg-shaped wooden casks, there is a buddhist-like statue that is placed. And, on every single of his barrels was one of two chalk written symbols: either a pinwheel like figure that signified that he believed that barrel was progressing in the right direction, had the right feel, or, the barrel has a heart drawn on it, meaning the barrel needed more love and attention. Every single barrel was designated with one of these symbols. As to his quality of wit/sarcasm, he called me Franck several times during the visit, with a wry smile and inflection in his voice. So while he has a zen that he carries about himself, he is also quite funny, too.

With this view into life and how we impact it in the way we treat our surroundings, it’s not surprising that Benoit practices a full biodynamic approach for the hectares he farms around Ambonnay, as well as the small acreage in Bouzy. In addition, as I asked him to clarify how his non-owned plots in the Cote de Blancs are farmed for him, these too are done bio. He’s committed to these practices and for me, there is a purity and freshness that shows in all of his wines. And uniquely, all of his production is 0 dosage, so one might wonder how these wines show, whether they are astringent or lean. I simply do not find any of those qualities, and moreso, I see his wines as reference points for what really good no dosage champagne can be.

As you will see in the photo below, he is really improving his facility. He has already acquired the building next door and absorbed it. There are other improvements and expansions going on inside, including the egg-shaped casks that were his idea, based on his belief and science that this shape of barrel helps to circulate the wine and draw it up the sides and then back down through the center–a mixing naturally based on the internal energy and forces of the liquid. (I witnessed a similar shape at Mousse, which I will blog about later).

This was a short visit, based on us being late and because Benoit needed to be a good Dad and get his daughter out for a movie that he had promised her, so we ended the visit tasting some of his range, mainly the sourced fruit from the non-Ambonnay plots that you will see in my TNs below. I thought his 2013 Chouilly was excellent and I hauled a bottle of it home with me.

Finally, after we said goodbye, we walked across the road (which is diagonal to Paul Dethune, where we visited the following day) and we walked the fence that walls off the clos that belongs to Krug, the small plot called Clos d’Ambonnay. You can see the length of the plot that sits at the edge of the Ambonnay slope, and the wall is high that one cannot see what’s behind it. There are buildings on the property too but they cannot be accessed from the street, as the gates were locked and the property’s buildings, while pretty well kept, seemed empty. What I did do was crawl my dumb ass up the corner of the wall and take a photo of the plot. Hell, I wanted to see it and figured I could share it here. After the shot, I hopped back off and then back to the car so my wife and I could get back to Rilly to call it a day.

In sum, the Marquet wines remain (with Vilmart) my largest holdings of champagne. They are excellent examples of what brut nature can be, in the hands of talented winemaker.

Below are my photos of the visit and my TNs.

• 2011 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Ambonnay - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    Disgorged 12/2017, with virtually even parts of PN and Chard. Zero dosage. Zesty lime and citrus, showing me a candied-like quality, that same Marguet purity and expression that I so much enjoy. Finishes with a nice minerality, too.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Avize & Cramant - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    Disgorged 02/2018, with zero dosage and 100% Chardonnay, of course. Very structured, with stone fruits (peach was one descriptor that was used by Benoit), creamy with light lemon and a touch of custard in the finish.
  • 2012 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne La Grande Ruelle - France, Champagne (5/15/2018)
    Disgorged 12/2017. This lieux-dit sits right outside of the village, and if I am not mistaken, is situated too very close to the walls of Krug’s Ambonnay plot. 100% PN. Black cherry, mineral, chalk and other red fruits mix together here. To me, this was classy and has the same polish and purity as the other cuvees Benoit is putting together.
  • 2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    Disgorged very recently, just back in March 2018. Zero dosage. 77% PN and 23% Chard. This was really good, with a length and intensity I enjoyed. Floral, with black cherry, chalky again with a pure mineral finish.
  • 2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Chouilly - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    Had to add this to the database. Like with the Bouzy cuvee 2013, the Chouilly was also disgorged in 03/2018. This was my wine of the flight. 100% Chard, zero dosage. Yellow apple, creamy, pear, pure and lively with a saline finish. One word…bravo.
  • 2013 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 13 - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    Disgorged 10/2017, with no dosage. 76% PN and 24% Chard. The PN is evident here, giving a cool black cherry quality along with lime, light honey, a creamy presence and the same delicious chalk that I enjoy in these wines. What I find fascinating about Benoit’s wines is that you have to leave any bias aside, as to think these are zero dosage and they will be lean and piercing is very far from the truth. This wines, many of his wines, show a purity of fruit and ripe presence that would seem counter-intuitive. These just drink with such a great purity and texture.
  • 2014 Marguet Père et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Shaman 14 Rose - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/15/2018)
    This is 2 parts PN to 1 part Chard, recently disgorged back in 02/2018. 0 dosage, as is the case with all of Benoit’s wines. Strawberry, bright acidity, lemon and light chalk. This drank nicely today.

Posted from CellarTracker
Ambonnay.jpg
Bouzy.jpg
The facade's facelift in Ambonnay.jpg
Barrel room at Marguet.jpg
The Marguet cask eggs.jpg
Le Parc in barrel.jpg
Les Bordes and La Grande Ruelle.jpg
Les Bermonts at Marguet.jpg
The wooden cask egg that cycles the vins clair at Marguet.jpg
The Marguet soil compositions from each of their Ambonnay sites.jpg
The chalk of the Les Crayeres plot.jpg
Benoit talks about the cuvees.jpg
Ahhh, the Chouilly.jpg
Our tasting range at Marguet.jpg
Me with Benoit Marguet.jpg
The Krug Wall again looking towards Bouzy.jpg
The vineyard of Krug's Clos d'Ambonnay.jpg
Next up in the blog will be our visit to see Sophie Dethune of PAUL DETHUNE. Thanks for sticking with me and sharing your comments if you have them.

I am enjoying this thread beyond words. I think that you may have missed your calling as a wine writer as you really give a face and place behind the wines. I am inspired to keep exploring rather than sticking with my few favorite Champagne producers. Heck it took me years to get over René Collard’s passing. Threads like your remind me that there are more wonderful wines and producers to discover.

Thank you for taking the time to capture all of this.

P.S. - I think climbing up and getting some pictures of Krug’s Clos d’Ambonnay vineyard and accompanying wall is awesome!

Glad you like the postings, Mary. If I have inspired you, then you made my day. [highfive.gif]

Sitting here with a glass of Copain Brosseau chard that I just opened. Have not drank a lot still wine lately so it takes some getting used to again.
I’ll have the Dethune visit posted shortly. I hope some folks here will enjoy that, as I know a few of us really like the Dethune wines, especially the Rose.

Wow clos d’ambonnay is tiny.

Wednesday DETHUNE

Dethune is not far from Rilly, just east on D26, and it sits directly across the road from both MARGUET, as well as the Krug Clos d’Ambonnay plot. In fact, as you drive out of Ambonnay and prepare to take the short drive into the next village that is Bouzy, Dethune is the last thing you really see before the village disappears behind you.

I will say at the outset, I really like Dethune. I have drank more bottles of their NV Rose than any other champagne over the past 3 years, close to 3 cases of it. It drinks with acidity, fruit and a moderate dosage, including that the family farms the fruit cleanly, so all that adds up to a winner for me. Plus, I can usually find it for $40 a less, which makes it even better. With that inspiration, I made an appointment to see Sophie Dethune.

The winery is old, if I recall correctly coming down through the many generations that preceded Paul Dethune, who is Sophie’s husband. You enter the wooden doors of the winery that look out onto the Ambonnay plateau and landscape. The courtyard that is through the doors reminds me a bit of a large, Mexican courtyard that I might find in central colonial Mexico: rustic, quiet with lots of greenery growing on the walls. When we arrived, Paul was in the vineyards–the family farms 7 hectares–and as I mentioned earlier, and what is well-documented on their website, they farm in a clean, sustainable manner that like many of my other stops, focused upon preserving and honoring the soil and the environment from which they make their living. In addition, in Sophie, you have a voice who is outspoken, candid and also knows this business. We talked about the state of the times for the independent vigneron, of which Dethune is one of them, growing and making all of their own wines. And with time and the pressures of economics–land prices, the influence of the cooperatives and the big houses, etc–this category of producer may continue to shrink and shrink. Why? It’s more costly and harder to farm like Dethune. And, the costs and risks to farm for quality over quantity are not the easy route. Instead, it becomes financially profitable and less risky to simply farm industrially, sell to the cooperative or the big houses. While I am over-simplifying here, this is essentially the picture of things. In fact, a lot of their production doesn’t even go to France, instead to other places like Sweden and into the US. This is where, in part, the consumer wants their philosophy, their approach. Certainly for me, this is why I support Dethune. Finally, she also told me that Dethune, along with 9 other independent grower/producers is all that remain in Ambonnay. So, think Egly-Ouriet, Ledru, Rodez, Marguet, etc. This is the contrast: in such a large growing area like Ambonnay, rich in history and accomplishment, very few of the independents remain.

Sophie gave Jill and I a great tour. We got to see their caves, which are truly cut into the subterranean portion under the winery. The chalk throughout the caves is moist and as I rubbed my hand across it, the white chalk dried on my hands like a white powder. And recently, they expanded the cellars of the winery, and you will see below in my photos some very modern touches. The elevator that is large enough to be as big as any freight elevator you might find in a high-rise building. And, the new underground production of course sits under the surface, which at the surface is a large plot of grass that eventually she wants to plant. She needs to get approval for it, as with much in Champagne, where and what you grow is regulated. Based on the 2MM Euro cost to make all the changes underground and really add this modernized aspects, she calls the plot of grass on the surface her “5th Avenue”. Land is so incredibly expensive in Ambonnay that anything that can be planted, it’s silly not to, which is in part why she wants to get approval to grown on her Park Avenue.

There was also a very large cask of reserve wine sitting in their cellar, one that contains a solera of the past 40 years. Yes, the older vintages (much like a similar one that is going at Mousse) become less and less a percentage of the whole, but in the end they have this history sitting in this cask, and it also gives them insurance in leaner yielding years to have reserve wines for which they can blend into the current vintage to help ensure their production goals.

The tradition, care for the environment and effort is really what I appreciate about Dethune, Do I like all their wines? Well, not all of them as I made that delineation below when I wrote up the 2008 Millesime. I find their dosages to perhaps be higher than I prefer so I am selective. I did bring home a bottle of their Brut Nature, as I really enjoyed it, and I continue to be a devoted fan for their NV Rose. If you have not had it, find some and try it. It’s excellent.

My TNs follow, along with a handful of photos to try and bring you back to Dethune.
The front of Dethune.jpg
Paul Dethune.jpg
Inside the courtyard after the entrance.jpg
The 2 Million Euro Grass Area.jpg
The freight elevator down to the cellar.jpg
40 years of reserve wine at Dethune.jpg
3 flight down to caves at Dethune.jpg
Underground in the chalk.jpg
A real sense of the chalk caves.jpg
Big boy bottles resting in the cellar.jpg
More bottles resting in a cave cubby-hole.jpg
More bottles under cap, resting for disgorgement.jpg
The Dethune chalk walls in the underground cave.jpg
Wines resting under cap--note the one rogue bottle that disgorged on it own.jpg
Exiting the caves going up to the surface.jpg
The logo for the association that represents the Independent Vignerons.jpg
The view of Ambonnay's plain from the Dethune gates.jpg
Sophie Dethune and I.jpg
My next update will be the wines of Cedric Mousse (MOUSSE FILS). Some of you may have bought into the recent Envoyer offer and I tasted the entire range at Mousse so stay tuned. Thanks for reading. (PS–my apologies for the photo that fell out of sequence below. Stumped to fix it, but it shows the fact that at Dethune, they do use a local Reims cooperage that I had not noticed in other wineries we had visited).
The special local oak barrels they use for their wines.jpg

I LOVE this thread. Seriously this thread is getting me through a rough period in my health. My thyroid and adrena medications are being adjusted which means huge variation in my pulse level…including elevated pulse episodes, which suck when working out in 89 + F heat. Everytime I log on and see a new post, I swear my pulse plummets and my happiness rises. Not only being inspired to try new stuff but also transporting me away from a lot of stress. Thanks.

Continuing on…

On Wednesday night, we ate in Reims at Les Crayeres. The property, which is both a hotel and also a site for their two restaurants, is right in the heart of town, next to Pommery and Veuve–that same area. The big houses really have some spreads in Reims and while I didn’t make time to visit them, we did drive past them as we headed for Les Crayeres.

Neal Mollen and Steve Nordhoff, both WB members, recommended we eat there. We took them up on their advice and we dined at the Brasserie Le Jardin, which is the more affordable of the two places.

If you want to dine at Le Parc, that I believe is Michelin starred, then you need to be prepared to fish out some serious Euros from your wallet. My guess was for two of us, it would have been 600 Euro. Yet, when we dined at the more value-priced Brasserie Le Jardin, we spent 80 Euro total. We didn’t do wine as we were both tapped out from drinking but we did have a 3 course meal each based on the formulae choices for the day. They also surprised my wife with a firework that they bring to the table. I have to say, while I dug the thought and gesture, and it is eye-catching to have that thing in front of you, the sulfur smell really jacked up my sinuses. Oddly cool, yet for the enviro they create, I would not personally shoot these things off for my guests. Anyhoo, some photos below.
Front of Les Crayeres.jpg
Back of Les Crayeres.jpg
Alan Rath and Steve Nordhoff left their cars out front.jpg
Les Crayeres.jpg
Krug Clos d'Ambonnay on the wine list.jpg
My wife's fish entree.jpg
My wife gets surprised by the on-table firework.jpg
We celebrate our anniversary.jpg
I offer these dining photos to give a bit of a break in the blog. But before I move the blog South to the Aube, we did do one more visit on Wednesday, to that of MOUSSE FILS. I will do that one next.

1 Like