My potatoes are corked

You could probably still cook the potatoes and have all the TCA burn off, just as you can cook with corked wine.

I had corked whole apples from the grocery store this spring-I wonder if the warehouse was contaminated. Also, remember, johnson and johson had to recall large volumes of corked tylenol fromt the market earlier this year (this was actually TBA whith bromide instead of chlorine-source was the wooden palates in the warehouse). Winemakers that I know are paranoid because most of their unfilled bottles are stored on wooden palates that aren’t really under their control.

Had some corked glasses at Le Chassagne…the Somm wasnt happy about it…and frankly didnt get it. Clueless to be exact.

The last two packages of cole-slaw mix we purchased from a big box retailer were so horribly TCA-infected the entire bag became compost.

Right now, there is a jar bread and butter pickles in the refrigerator that is TCA-infected as well.

I assume it may have come from rubber hoses used to for the water lines with the cole slaw. I’m a bit baffled how it happened to pickles.

Thomas Halverson

Sadly, it appears that potatoes, apple slices, and baby carrots will prove unsuitable as novel cork replacements.

‘Baby’ carrots are not babies at all.
They are machine cut (actually, abraded) from knobby, misshapen, or damaged mature carrots, then washed in chlorinated water (100-150 ppm chlorine) to extend shelf life.

[rofl.gif]

Quite right, Bob. Any idea what happens to the shavings by-product???
Tom

Ready-to-eat, packaged cole slaw.

I had a bottle of cider vinegar turn out corked… something I noticed well after it tainted a complicated recipe… :frowning:

My friend came to pick me up and said check this out…It was an apple and it was corked as hell…

Jb

I have noticed this phenomenon with potatoes and carrots. When you slice or peel the taters, the smell of TCA reminds me of chlorine wash. Probably used to mitigate risk from salmonella.

Same here. For about a month, every Braeburn apple we bought from the store was corked. My wife was the first to notice, but damn if she wasn’t right on about it.