Mytik Diam?

And that’s my point - folks ‘assume’ this but it most likely is not the case. It very well could be a ‘faulty’ DIAM - or it could be that the ‘faults’ folks pick up is not actually TCA

Cheers

Interesting note on the age.

While DIAM tries to mimmick some of the physical properties of traditional corks, they are their own thing with different densities and elastic properties. I think the DIAM corks are overall denser and less elastic than traditional corks, so there’s bound to be less distortion of the cork after its been bottled as a result, so your experience isn’t entirely unexpected. As an aside, I wonder what that means for seepage potential. I’ve never had a bottle with seepage under DIAM, but I haven’t had many with significant age to then. I’m curious if others have any experience with it.

No doubt.

I did have a bottle of Mousse Fils Champagne where I had to use pliers to get the Mytik cork to turn so that it would release. Only ever happened once to date, and sabre is always an option! [berserker.gif]

Hey, we can agree on that! [wow.gif] [cheers.gif] … Although I would say TCA is TCA, and one really isn’t in a position to engage in the “is this bottle corked?” debate without actually tasting it.

For what it’s worth, I find agreement vastly overrated. (just look at my signature)

I hope you have a wonderful and Happy Thanksgiving, David, filled with family, fun, laughter, good food, and good, TCA-free, wine!

You as well Brian.

1 Like

It was the wine, Larry. I never base my decision on whether the wine is sound by smelling the cork; quite frankly, I rarely smell the cork at all.

I just checked CT: one of the bottles was a NV Mumm Napa Valley BdB: that was probably opened for Mimosas. I didn’t see a note for the other one, so I assume it was another cheap, Mimosa-destined, sparkler, and I simply never even entered it into CT.

blahblah

Larry,
Maybe that’s true in California, but you will note that the OP was referring to a European wine.
I have had two winery owners in the last 6 months tell me that their enologist told them to use a chlorinated cleaner; this after one of them had a range of wines affected by environmental TCA. (In Italy, in these cases.)

Why would they do that? Nooooo - no chlorinated cleaners!!! And would live to know about their systemic issues - reach out to me offline please.

Cheers!