Name a wine you consistently rate higher than the critics

Pretty much anything from Edmunds St. John
Selbach-Oster Kabinett
Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne

1 Like

Did not think the perfect reply could be improved upon. Chapeau, gents.

Pretty much anything from DRC. The ratings are constantly mediocre.

I’m big on Richard Kershaw’s Chard and Pinot. I think they’re well below they’re rating. Take this with a grain of salt…I’m new here but I’m excited about this wine.

1 Like

I always tend to feel that cheap but well made cotes du Rhone in the $8-$14 range often over performs its price and ratings. Many times I drink them and think they are in the 90-92 range to me and are just pretty tasting and downright enjoyable. Often when I go up the price range in southern rhone I quickly find them too cloying and oaky. So in feel like cotes du rhone is often thought of as light and too simple but I find it to overpeform ratings and price.

1 Like

Historically I would say no, but lately I’m starting to think I’m higher on some New Zealand Syrahs than the reviewers. Also sometimes some “lesser” classed growth Bordeaux. And maybe Rafanelli and Truchard.

Points don’t matter, unless of course they’re my points? [stirthepothal.gif]

1 Like

Obviously subjective, but from above… Smith Madrone, saw that up there earlier, a good call. Also, easily, Selbach-Oster Kabinett, great value and more deserving of better love.

Thinking about others, Rauzan-Segla hits a higher batting average for me. Chateau Gloria I also feel is under-reviewed/appreciated and ages better than advertised. Pio Cesare never gets its full props IMO. Also would throw up Chateau Guiraud for a Sauternes pick.

Honestly, I don’t know because I don’t pay much attention to critics’ scores. It also doesn’t help that I tend to score most wines in a very narrow range when I do bother to score a wine (88-92).

But, to hazard a guess, I’d say:

1. generally, dry Sherry
  2. Grand Puy Lacoste (maybe … score inflation is so rampant among critics these days, I could be wrong here)
  3. dry whites with purposely oxidative tones
  4. Baudry’s Croix Boissee
  5. 2010 German Riesling
  6. 2008 red Burgundy
  7. 2014 red Bordeaux

Is this a way of reflecting on our own preferences? I often get huge satisfaction from middle range Bordeaux, such as Caronne St Gemme. It suits my taste and I have been following it since 1982 the critics never mention it, but it is like a comfort blanket for me.