Name one wine (ONE) that you bought in 2021 that people should seriously consider purchasing

Since everyone has suggested some 2019 Germans already, I’m going to say 2019 Morgen Long X Omni or Seven Springs chardonnay.

1865 Gonzalez-Byass Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Coronation 1911. If you can find it. Read the TN from our fellow Berserker on Cellartracker and then tell me you do not want to own this wine. I lucked into one bottle at auction. I could suggest something realistic, but the OP says ONE.

2 Likes

Well that’s unfortunate. For something obtainable then, I very much enjoyed the 2018 Château Segonzac. It’s a cheap Bordeaux, $15/btl, and meant to be drunk rather than aged. Awesome QPR.

Have to agree whole heartedly. I’m disappointed I only was able to snag 18 instead of 180. The 2 I’ve had have been incredible and there’s no way I can keep my hands off the rest for the 20+ years they deserve.

2019 Von Winning GG Grainhübel

1 Like

2019 Baudry Le Domaine

2014 Roederer Rose.

Marc Hebrart Brut Rose.

2016 Bourgneuf.

2008 Dom Ruinart

How would you, Rich and others compare the '19 selbach to the '15?

Which one?

Christopher Tynan Wines L’enclume De Velours.

2 Likes

Sadly I haven’t had the ‘15 but did a comparison of the ‘18 & ‘19 last week. While quite similar the ‘18’s extra age gave it a little more herbal complexity. I think the ‘19 will be more interesting in the long term but these are cut from the same cloth. I wouldn’t think the ‘15 would be very different.

1 Like

Oh cool, I have a few of these but had not really thought to try them yet. Good to drink now, or let them sleep?

I salute you Andrew! I went very deep on ‘19 German Riesling and you’re making me think I should pick up some more! But yes that Kabi you mentioned is stellar. So many good Kabinetts in ‘19!

1 Like

I haven’t had the ‘15 either but, as for others, fellow berserker Kieth Levenberg said the ‘19 felt crisper and drier but still fleshy enough, though he scored them the same.

MFW called the ‘19 one of the finest fineherbs ever and scored it 96 vs 90+ for the ‘15.

No other critic I’m aware of reviewed both.

My take on the ‘19 in a nutshell was that it was hard to imagine a situation that called for white wine where it wouldn’t fit the bill, even if it wouldn’t excel in all. It’s really versatile stuff.

1 Like

I bought so much 2019 German and 2016 Brunello I had to set up two more wine racks in the basement! The one wine that is a must buy if you can find it would be Falkenstein’s Gisela. That was a wow wine for me.

I think I bought all my 2019 German whites last year.

So 2020 Julian Haart WO Kabinett AR. (Good luck finding it though!)

I’m a bit sad to say it but I don’t consider Grunhaus an address for (proper) Kabinett any more, not to say the wines aren’t often excellent.

1997 François Gaunoux Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens.

I am piling on to the “2019 German vintage” theme because it is where most of my wine purchase money went this year, and I am recommending something that I think will be very special down the road: Wittmann, Riesling LA BORNE Alte Reben, GG 2019.

I thought Dom Ruinart did not make a vintage champagne from 2008. Is this not true? I have loved 2008 Champagnes (surprised nobody has mentioned the Taittinger 2008 CdC in this thread) and if Dom Ruinart made a 2008 I will be on the lookout for it.

1 Like

Excellent reco, Neal. I have a 1/2 case in 375s.

Like any fine Bordeaux, time will be kind to these, but damn some of the 16 right banks are so delicious. Just had one of these, on a whim, on Tuesday night.