Napa - January 4th (Sunday)

I am really excited for this!

I’m having drinking/driving conflicts. Michel wants to ride with me but I seriously don’t want to be driving at night during this time of year. Cannot afford a sleepover. Anyone else coming from Sonoma. County?

Hello Napa!

Hi Benjamin…
See you soon :slight_smile:

Randy just told me about this. I’m in of course. I have to be there to kick Benji’s ass for not telling me he is here.

Sorry, guys, I’m out. Haven’t been feeling well. Have fun!

Here’s the line up so far:

2007 Sojourn Howell Mountain Cab
2011 Myriad Beckstoffer dr. crane Vineyard Cab
2005 Lillian Blue Label Syrah
2008 No Girls Grenache
2009 SQN Upside Down Grenache
2012 Thomas Dundee Hills Pinot Noir
2009 Maison Ilan Les Chaffots (only questionable bottle so far. Mushy cork soaked 3/4 of the way through)
2013 Fogline Zephrs Block, Sonoma Coast Chardonnay

I’ve been getting dangerously curious about SQN lately, unfortunately my immune system screwed the pooch on this one.

A bunch more wine showed up. I’ll update the list tomorrow.

Fun time with our group of 9. Nice to finally meet Benji and his Mom (Marilyn) among others.

'00 Piper Heidsieck Brut - Nutty nose, fresh popcorn, rolls over to palate, touch heavy, great bubbles.
'13 Fogline Zephyrs Block Chardonnay - Lots of melon and lemon cure on the nose, clean silky with a bit if richness. Well done.
'12 Wayfarer Chardonnay Fort Ross Seaview - A touch leaner on the aromatics but crisp clean fruit with nice salinity.
'09 Maison Ilan MSD Les Chaffots - Poor storage, cork wet right to top. Nose was all brett, no fruit, or acidity, muted rose petal water. Very poor showing.
'12 Thomas PN Dundee Hills - Pure dark red fruit but kind of one dimensional. May have needed more time.
'11 Kutch PN McDougall Ranch - Best of the 4 PNs for me. Good balance between dark fruit, acid and tannin. Lovely aromatics.

'83 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux - DOA.

'08 No Girls La Paciencia Grenache - WOTN. Stellar savory nose, crunchy red fruit, superb balance.
'09 SQN Turn the Whole Thing Upside Down Grenache - Over the top, sweet. Never would have guessed Grenache
'05 Chateau L’Evangile Pomerol - Young, sharp tannins, delicious nonetheless. Most interesting wine of the nite for me.
'07 Sojourn CS Howell Mountain - Surprise showing of the night? In a sweet spot, great nose, crunchy fruit
'11 Myriad CS Beckstoffer Dr Crane - Always a winner, great depth, spice, infanticide
'12 Paix Sur Terre Mourvèdre - this was over the top for me like kinda like the SQN. Would not have guessed Mourvèdre blind. So many Paso wines come across thus way to me.
'12 Campesino Syrah Old Lakeville - Very defined. Savory Petaluma gap nose, black olive, nice effort
'05 Lillian Syrah Gray Label - So big, dense and deep. Needs another 10 years.

Just opened one of our go to wines for lap top time. Just isn’t running on all the cylinders after the wines we had last night.

Wait.
Is Benji legal drinking age? [snort.gif]

His Mom brought him. She said it was OK to serve him. [snort.gif]

Thanks for the great night and to Carrie and Randy for being kick-ass hosts! It was good to meet everyone and actually put some faces to names. Brian’s notes are spot on with only a few differences based on personal preferences. I can’t wait to do another at some point!