Napa old guard vs. new guard

I haven’t had one in years but I’d throw Seavey out There as another in the style.

Are wines like Mondavi and BV really old guard. The Mondavi family no longer owns Mondavi and Tim Mondavi no longer makes the wine. I have not had a Mondavi in a long time but are wines made in the same way.

BV has not been independently owned for a long time and has long been owned by a large liquor company. The BVs I have tasted over the years do not bear much resemblance to wines I tasted from the 1970s, although I pretty much again stopped drinking their wines a long time ago.

Was just about to post that.

For a bit more Santa Cruz, Kathryn Kennedy any one?

FWIW, I tasted a bunch of Montelena last year, and I really think they are doing the same thing they have always done. It’s pretty wild. The wines are just so good, and so old school.

This is a nice list. We have bought Montelena, Forman, Dunn and Spottwoode for many years and continue to enjoy them, as well as Monte Bello and Rafanelli from outside Napa. One that I do not believe has been mentioned yet is Frog’s Leap, and they are a nice value. If you can find older Laurel Glen Cab’s, especially from 1990-1995 I would give them a try.

Ed

I never heard of Ulysses until yesterday, and now I read about it today. [cheers.gif] Funny thing is that I was going to ‘search’ for the wine on the board.

Great call on Katheryn Kennedy. Other old school producers from the Santa Cruz Mountains would be Mount Eden (mentioned above), Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard (wish they still made a Bates Ranch but the the Luchessi Vineyard is old school) and Woodside Vineyards (especially the La Cuesta).

Sempre Vive, at least their '04, was one that has consistently hit above its weight. A WTSO buy and surprisingly enjoyable–true Napa Fruit.

\

Have you tried these recently, Adam,

Since Constellation or whoever it was bought Warren out? Not the same wine, as far as I am concerned.

Had one about a year ago or so, and was less impressed than I’d previously been, so it’s possible the style has changed. I have a bottle lurking somewhere, I might bring it out soon.

Really interesting wines for sure. It’s Oakville though, so a bit of a “splashier Dominus”, but certainly not like it’s neighbors. Well, maybe VHR :slight_smile:

Ste. Michelle bought out Stags Leap WC, just FYI.

1 Like

[winner.gif] I can’t think of a better value in Napa - Relatively affordable and age beautifully.

+1s on Corison. Togni. Spottswoode.

New winery, but old school Cabs - Enfield Wine Co

1 Like

Ed Steinway wrote: ↑Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am
One that I do not believe has been mentioned yet is Frog’s Leap, and they are a nice value.
[winner.gif] > I can’t think of a better value in Napa - Relatively affordable and age beautifully.

Different style but I would put Anderson’s Conn Valley in the same sentence as one of the best values in Napa.

Based on a new thread, maybe I should have left out Stony Hill. Time will tell.