Napa / Sonoma Trip Help

That was pretty much my experience to a T…really enjoyed it there.

And you haven’t planned it in yet, Dustin Valette’s new place, The Matheson, is an awesome addition to the Healdsburg scene. The 85-bottle automated wine bar is worth the visit alone, and the Somm always has some interesting choices. Try for a reservation downstairs (upscale fine dining, similar to Valette’s, with world-class sushi as well) or take a chance at a table up on the roof (more casual, great pizzas as well). Can.Not.Go.Wrong.

1 Like

Plenty of great reccos for Syrah & Sonoma, so I’ll stick to what I think are good values on Spring Mtn.
Keenan- has great offerings around $50 for Cab, Cab Franc & Merlot, I find them a just a bit heavier on tannin & oak than some of the other Spring Mtn wineries, but they age very gracefully. Nice tasting & great values, imo.
Paloma- absolutely beautiful setting near the top of Spring Mtn, well known for their Merlot but also have a great Cab. The next generation has taken over the winery after the founding parents passed away. After a few years of treading water & figuring things out, I’m hopeful they’re on an upward trajectory. The 2016’s were great expressions of Spring Mtn fruit. At $65/75 these are good values, but I’m biased as every bottle reminds me of sitting on their deck drinking in the gorgeous views (and fruit).
One of my first wine loves was Spring Mtn Vineyard. Their entry level bottle just went over $80 so I hesitate to say it’s a good value anymore, but the way they balance tannins with the vibrant mountain fruit to create a medium weight wine with that much complexity is right in my wheelhouse.
On the leaner side, Smith Madrone’s entry Cab is a great value. Haven’t visited, though.

2 Likes

The plan is shaping up well so far, though I’m sure I’ll change 75% of it before we leave:

Thursday 4/21
-Arrive
-Dinner: (TBD)
-Hotel: (TBD)

Friday 4/22
-Breakfast: (TBD, near or on the way to Ridge)
-Winery: Ridge
-Lunch: (TBD Healdsburg B&G, Oakville Grocery)
-Winery: Jolie Laide
-Winery: Pax
-Dinner: region (Kosho/Acre, try Immortal, Gary Farrell, Calluna, Scherrer)

Saturday 4/23
-Breakfast: Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch
-Winery: (TBD Outpost/Robert Craig/Pride/other Howell???)
-Lunch: (TBD La Luna, Oakville Grocery, or Gott’s Roadside)
-Winery: Frog’s Leap
-Winery: Paloma
-Dinner: (TBD)

Sunday 4/24
-Breakfast: (TBD, near Bedrock?)
-Winery: Bedrock
-Leave

1 Like

Not to complicate your life, but … I’ll recommend Regusci off of Silverado trail. Been a member there for a decade now; was the only membership I kept after moving from the Bay Area to the east coast. They will probably be on the upper end of your price range, but they have a great view, very helpful staff, and IMO one of the best Merlots in the Valley. The Estate and Elders Cabs are both <$100.

If you want something a little cheaper, under the same ownership umbrella is Tank Garage Winery in Calistoga. Very cool little place in an old gas station. They never make the same wine twice and make a unique label for each wine. Some killer blends that hover in the $30 - $65 range.

Very jealous. We used to go to Napa / Sonoma about once a month; haven’t been back since before the pandemic. Miss it dearly! Cheers!

2 Likes

Lots of great advice out here already but I will throw out there that you should consider a picnic lunch at V.Sattui in St. Helena on Saturday (assuming good weather). We did a little tasting inside, bought a bottle and some sandwiches and had a great relaxing meal

Our Pax experience in 2018 led me to think they served the wines way too young. Hard and tannic. And,IMHO, the cost of the tasting was too expensive.

We really enjoyed our tastings with Leah Smith and Erin DiConstanzo in St. Helena on our trip a couple years ago. Other Spring Mountain wineries we enjoyed were Barnett, Terra Valentine and School House Vineyard.

1 Like

Definitely take the time to visit the actual winery (not the tasting room in Healdsburg). The scenery is beautiful. Feels like you’re in a secluded valley.

1 Like