Napa wine tastings for my wife

For a really elegant taste connection, consider Peter Michael and Aubert on the same day.

If they might want a group chardonnay day…

Hyde Winery (home of Hyde vineyard chard.)

Tres Perlas (home of Brown Ranch chard, one row away from Hyde vineyard.)

Aubert (they source their Hyde from Hyde Vineyard, so great to compare.)

Peter Michael…‘of a kind.’ (The David Family wine would fit here, too.)

It closed several years ago. In the day, Etoile was wonderful.

The Duckhorn property is a nice spot with outdoor options. And if you know a club member, the private patio at Domaine Carneros is a great spot, but even the public area has some great views, with the Di Rosa Art Center just across the street (www.dirosaart.org).

Last time I was out that way we visited Mayacamas and Hanzell. Both great winemakers, extensive and fun tours, and beautiful mountain locations.

I recommended both Hess and Mayacamas to her. Beautiful on that mountain!

Shafer is a great visit also, they limit it to 10 at a time, so this would be good for a mid-sized group to do a private tasting. Doug came in to say hello the time that we went, that sounds common in the WV, but I assume that it is rare to shake hands with the winemaker/owner at many places in Napa.

Well, seeing what seems to maybe scratching the itch here, how about Coppola/ Inglenook? Lots of wine country history, film memorabilia and some of the wines may be ok!

Correction: for logistics/planning, Mending Wall is in St. Helena, on the Silverado Trail, very close to the Calistoga line.

If you go to Mending Wall, contact Will Segui foŗ a Rivers-Marie tasting.

I’ll agree with others and say that a private tasting at A/O would likely please her and her crew. Another recommendation would be Hunnicutt, beautiful location, cave tour but not a la Del Blotto and very well made wines. I’m generally not a chardonnay lover but was impressed enough to purchase some when out there earlier this year along with their Wayside Cab.

My wife really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and wine over at Frog’s Leap. Would recommend.

Opus One is a beautiful facility. If you know someone (other than just making appointment) you will taste in a private room, or go on the roof. Mondavi also offers nice wines, similar to Montelena or Beringer.

Here goes:
Schramsberg was a big MEH for us. A one and done…
Mumms on the patio was much more fun and I was visiting with my wife, daughters and niece
Shafer was disappointing for a few reasons. Chimney Rock was a 100 times better experience and tasting.
Mending Wall was very good
Frogs Leap is also a very good option

+1 on Ehlers Estate. Every single wine they make is delish. Going up there next month for a tasting. Chappellet does a great tour and the tastings inside are also very neat. Will also be up at Chappellet next month for the Pritchard Hill release.

Cliff Lede has some great wines and multiple options for tasting. Group of six needs to get reservations. Five or less can walk in. Christopher Tynan is the winemaker now and the wines are getting big scores. The Backstage tasting is $75 but includes the limited production wines.

A few years back my best friend and I attended a seminar at Phelps that was pointed towards people ITB, but he managed to get us in via a good friend that worked for Southern. If you can leverage some connections that was a really fun and educational session. I’ve enjoyed Phelps wines since I was a young lad in the 80s.

Some random “outsider” observations from the wife’s trip:

I cannot wait to taste that $90 cabernet franc.

Someone did not tell my wife about the dangers of shipping wine cross-country in mid-summer, and allowing a box of wine to sit in the hot afternoon sun on our doorstep.

Wines do not show up to your house if you wrote down the wrong address in that tasting room where wine was flowing.

Lots of wine is coming in.

Cabs at $200 are cheap, as they cost less than Ovid.

I was asked to give up a row in my wine fridge, or get one for her.

And the best part was, she thought JCB sucked and was gimmicky!

Oh boy. Lol. Sounds like she had a good time at least…

Make an appt. at Lewelling - low key, great people, great wines.

Good call, Eric.

Whomever you might be Rob.A.Jr., I could sooner help you if you asked for information as to the mating rituals of aboriginal red-striped silver-backed Orangutans in 1542 BC.