Napa winery visiting status update please

Throwing in a 3rd for good measure.

Napa and Sonoma counties are not part of the list and not closing as far as I know. I was just there (Napa) a few weeks ago and things are going well and people are very respectful when it comes to contact. Tasting room staff have been across the board, some have kept their masks on all the time, others will take them off as long as you are comfortable. For example, I had the opportunity to taste with a winemaker at his home, and he let me know that he’s been tested so no masks needed. Even though we hesitated at first, things were fine and we had a great time.

With that being said, I do agree with others that it may not be the best time to visit CA in general. It’s crazy how fast the “second wave” of covid has come and it may not be worth it to expose yourself to increased risk. Take the trip and enjoy your vacation more once the wave “dies down”. Just my two cents.

I had a C-19 test as well through the mobile healthcare unit that works specifically with vineyard and winery workers. Tested negative. What that meant was the day I took the test I was negative. Means nothing about the present. Unless it was an antibody test and even then that doesn’t mean much.

This isn’t a 2nd wave. This is still the first wave.

Good points, and I agree with both. I’ve been quarantining at my apartment (again) for the past two weeks to make sure I don’t spread the virus, but I just wanted to add that in terms of winery visiting and private appointments, being respectful of the 6ft guidelines set is the first thing everyone should be doing. The staff is there to make you feel comfortable, and more importantly, safe.

As for the notion of the wave, I specifically had put “second wave” in quotes for that reason. CA never truly had an end to the first wave (it was simply a brief plateau before going up again), and hopefully we don’t need what happened to NY in April to happen here to realize that we still all need to be more mindful and careful.

I’m sorry but my thoughts is that the wine maker is either brave or stupid. Letting random people into your home without masks.

Assuming he doesn’t get sick and infection anyone else, sure.

The tasting rooms in Santa Barbara County are allowed to remain open - but we can only conduct tastings outdoors (same as restaurants can only offer outside seating). I think this will prompt more folks to ‘take over’ parking spaces and roads to maximize outdoor seating. On the one hand, I get this - but I am not trying to ‘maximize’ anything. I am the only person working my tasting room because I don’t feel comfortable having either of my employees (one is older with diabetes and the other a bit younger but a germaphobe) back here, at least not yet.

What I can say is that it is irresponsible for the state to make us do this but allow SLO County, and Paso in particular, NOT to do this. Guess where folks are going to go? Same with Napa and Sonoma. Period. This is not out of being selfish - it’s about looking out for everyone. I hope each and every winery ‘survives’ this current situation and I wish no ill will on any of them whatsoever.

Be careful out there, show a great deal of patience as it is a necessity, and hope to see many of you when it’s safe - and some of you on upcoming Zoom tastings.

Cheers.

I agree Larry; they should have just done this statewide … as like you said I know people who were going to go up to SBC but now will just go up to Paso/SLO. If they’re trying to slow this they need to do it statewide if not nationwide. Yeah sucks on the economy & everything, but I think lives comes first.

Hopefully Once this COVID ends I’ll be sure to stop by, as I’ve driven by your place multiple times last year but never had a chance.

Well said Jim. I oversee a couple of urgent care centers that are testing (primarily symptomatic patients) every day. It’s not looking good. We have refused to offer/perform the antibody test because it’s really inconclusive. We prefer to do the right thing and not take people’s money although we get hundreds of calls weekly.

Napa Covid cases increased exponentially after Memorial Day. Also after Memorial day, there was and still is an influx of tourists from other counties and states, looking for open wineries and restaurants. If the rise in covid cases continues, Napa will be lumped into the closed counties as the hot areas are determined by number of cases per 1000 population. Napa county has a population just slightly higher than neighboring cities at 137,744.

All tastings at wineries are by appointment only at this time. We see a lot of visitors who can’t get in to tasting rooms who drop by thinking we might do tasting. Our wine bar is closed per health department covid restrictions and we agree those restrictions are appropriate.

Personally, I’d pass on the Napa visit which will be more of a scavenger hunt than a vacation.