Nashville music/club question

Don’t forget the fried bologna sandwich at Roberts!

I’ve heard/read about it. Is it actually good?? Maybe after enough beer and some great music I’ll give it a try. I don’t think I’ve had bologna since about the 4th grade!

I’ve never had it without “enough” beer and great music. If you like fried bologna it’s good. Not Au Cheval (Chicago) good but good-given the environment.

Just back from our Nashville trip and thought I’d give a recap while the memory was still fresh.

Meals:

City House: Excellent. Fun vibe. Noisy, but could still converse. Great waiter who steered us in the right direction. Some solid cocktails and had a nice bottle of Barbaresco that paired well with the lamb special. Other highlights: Roasted cauliflower, belly ham pizza, and desserts.

Bastion: Also excellent. The Big Bar is a bit over the top hipster, but the restaurant has a nice mellow vibe with great music. Service was amazing. Somm was good, although wine pairings were a bit too cutting edge for me (Hungarian red, German red, etc.). All of the tasting menu choices were thoughtful and innovative. Don’t come here starving, as the servings are smaller. This was good for us, as we seemed to be constantly eating. My choices were the following: Tilefish with English Peas, Oyster with Coconut, Green Garlic and Rabbit Sausage, Beet and Beef Tongue, and Chocolate/Pistachio tart. All were great.

Etch: Lunch here the first day. Decent, nothing special. Wouldn’t come back. Ran out of the tempura oyster mushrooms, which was a bummer.

Sun Diner: Right off of Broadway. Fun place with good Southern breakfast. Huge portions (beware).

Party Fowl: Did some hot chicken research and ended up here. Wanted to avoid the major tourist lines and this place was good. I really enjoyed hot chicken, but it takes a toll on your body! I was stuffed all day after having this for lunch.

Sunda: After a lunch of hot chicken, we were in the mood for lighter fare. This was a nice pan-asian place in The Gulch. Good sushi, etc.

Music:

Roberts: Just awesome. Spent many hours here over the weekend and didn’t hear a bad band. I definitely enjoy the old school Country music that they play here more than the modern top-40 country. Spent the most time listening to Brazil Billy (house band fronted by the owner). Also enjoyed Don Kelley band (famous for their version of Ghost Riders in the Sky) and Rachael Hester and the Tennessee Walkers.

Tootsie’s: My friend’s cousin is the singer in their house band. Decent experience here, but more rowdy frat feel.

Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie: Fun change of pace, listened to a set of blues on Sunday afternoon

Station Inn: Went here last night for open Mic bluegrass night. Fun night with about 15 people playing at the same time. Great cultural experience.

Other experiences:

Country Music Hall of Fame: Good museum for an outsider like myself. Worthwhile for sure. Can be crowded on the weekend.

Hop On/Off Bus Tour: Great overview of the city and educational tourguides

Overall a really fun weekend and I’ll be back. Would like to time it to see more bands at venues such as the Ryman, Bluebird, etc. There’s a lot to like about Nashville - friendly city, downtown is easy to walk, etc. Downside is all that comes with being the bachelorette party capitol of the world - I won’t miss the pedal buses with their terrible singing! Also, who thought legalizing the use of motorized scooters in this city was a good idea??