Nespresso to Espresso

Never really like the Nespresso flavors but better than some. If you like that reasonably well stick with simple. If you wanna totally geek out, spend maybe 2k go for the real deal as others can point you to on a machine plus $300 grinder minimum.

I had a Jura super automatic for many years and would suggest you try this first. Nearly as simple as the Nespresso, uses whole beans, and can make espresso thru americano cups. Currently I’m using old fashioned drip coffee but roast my own beans which is another rabbit hole.

I’ve drank a fair bit of Nespresso at friends’ houses and at office meetings, but I’d never buy one over an automatic or semi-auto espresso machine. The quality is nowhere comparable if you have even merely good beans.

Ten and a half years ago, I bought a Rancio Silvia machine and Rancilio Rocky grinder. Best household appliance investment I’ve made by far. I drink 1-3 straight shots per day. Turn it on when I wake up. Come back 10-15 minutes later and it takes about 1-1.5 minutes to grind and pull the shot. Spend 20-30 minutes cleaning once or twice per month, and take it in for tune-ups every 3-4 years.

In the first year, I definitely pulled some clunkers due to working with different beans and not having the grinder fully dialed in. Now, probably only 1 in 25-30 are not up to my expectations, but all are way better than Nespresso.