New Espresso Machine

We ran out over the holiday and my wife is screaming at me. I have to do a marathon roasting session today, or its my azz.

Not to hijack the thread but Iā€™ve been toying around with my new Compak F10 Conic OD and what a difference (replaced a Macap M4, which Iā€™ll now use for decaf)! No doubt overkill for the 3-4 shots/day I make but incredibly fast, easy to dial in, and amazing grind/dosing consistency already (after an hour or so) translating to a better shot than I could previously get.

Like I said upthread, Iā€™ve been brewing my own espresso for 25 years. This is my 6th machine. I donā€™t imagine this would be the year I decided itā€™s too much trouble. More likely, as Alan says, Iā€™ll start doing my own roasting.

i always wait and see when someone posts about nespresso or aeropress, etc. on an espresso thread and i find it so confusing in the context of a wine board where we typically discuss the top 0.0001% of wines produced in the world. yet plenty of folks are (1) happy with very mediocre other food products, and more confusingly (2) try to convince the rest of us.

iā€™ve tasted nespresso many times, itā€™s pretty terrible coffee and barely recognizable as espresso. i canā€™t imagine a situation where iā€™d go for it over any other type of coffee, or tea, or even a coca-cola.

if you didnā€™t get good results from your breville or any other proper machine, thatā€™s 100% your fault. but donā€™t project your inadequacies on the rest of us! :wink:

now, thatā€™s not to say youā€™re not thrilled with the results, but please donā€™t try and preach nespresso as the holy grail of coffee to people that are ready, willing, and able to actually make good espresso at home.

i can actually believe this claim, because the great majority of coffee in italy is terrible.

Not a thread drift at all Phil, unless you tell me youā€™re using that beast for refillable K-cups [tease.gif]

This morning I went back to one-click off finest on my Krups grinder, tried to tamp harder, and ended up under-extracted. Pretty much puts the nails in the coffin for the Krups. I wonder if I can get it clean enough to use for grinding dry spices, or maybe just keep it for cold brew & French press. The Baratza Vario is in the post and wonā€™t be here for a couple days, but canā€™t come soon enough!

i covet the compak grinders!

larry - make sure to buy some grindz or whatever and use it regularly. same thing with the backflush cleaning function on the breville. both are very easily cleanable and should be done often. on the breville, it probably came with tablets but you donā€™t have to use those when they run out. you can use the regular powder just fine.

Great to hear! (as I await delivery on a F8 OD)

Damn a f10

I hate you, really. :slight_smile:

I have a k 10 and almost bought the f when It went on sale Black Friday, but I just canā€™t justify replacing the k.

I waste some coffee each day, but I roast my own, so itā€™s not all that expensive.

Mark, do you roast on your kitchen stove? I had a friend who did that, but it made his house so ā€œaromaticā€ his wife banned him to the backyard and now he does it on the grill.

I like it even more than I thought I wouldā€¦ flirtysmile

I wanted a doserless conical and itā€™s a pretty clear upgrade from the Macap which, while a fine grinder, was the weak link for me. Not sure I would see the sense in moving to an F10 from the K10 PB either.

I roast on a huky 500 in my garage

I helicopter the beans directly from the plantation to my yacht and I roast them there.

Larry I have that machine and looooove it. Get this grinder and you are all set!

http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-smart-grinder.html

But do you do that before or after landing at Screagle?

That was at the top of my list, in fact I went to Sur la Table to check it out. I probably would have gotten it except they couldnā€™t find their one in stock, then Yaccov recommended that Baratzaā€¦

Regarding the importance of the grinder: I was a skeptic at first. I love a good espresso, but do not consider myself a geek about it, so figured I was doing well with my Capresso burr grinder, which was a definite step up for what Iā€™d had before. Then my husband set up a blind test between my old Capresso and his Mazzer. Same beans, same awesome espresso machine, same barista (him) - only the grinder was different. The grinder, and the results, that is. Not even close. It made a huge difference, even to my less-refined palate.

Thanks Sarah, that helps. My Baratza should be here tomorrow!

yeah, espresso machines have gotten so good over the past 10 years that thereā€™s a certain base level thatā€™s very high. but you really do need a very good/great grinder to unlock that potential. i havenā€™t tried the breville grinder, but iā€™d opt for something more serious.

the grinder is basically your tool to get to the last mile, the barista.

after a lot of time and energy, youā€™ll finally realize that tamping is the real thing. which is as manual as it gets. just you and the coffee. good luckā€¦

my Baratza Vario-W grinder from Whole Latte Love arrived today.