New grapes approved for Bordeaux

That’s kind of what I was getting at Wes. I probably have less knowledge than most here, but I would think you’d want something with plenty of tannins so as not to make a flabby wine. As far as acidity, I think you may be able to achieve that with a blend, so if you have an acidic grape and a tannic grape you can balance it out.

I think Touriga Nacional is a good choice, and probably some of the other Portuguese grapes, say something like Baga, which has tannins and acid. And from Spain, in the south they have Bobal, which is another tannic grape. Xinomavro is another one with tannins and acidity. Tempranillo from places like Toro or Ribera del Duero produces tannic and alcoholic wine, so I’m not sure that would be their bet, but it might work.

I know that they don’t respect it, but they may want to take another look at Durif.

And maybe Sagrantino and Nero d’Avola and Aglianico from Italy.

But those are just off the top because they seem similar in some ways and grow near water. I don’t have any clue as to whether they’d do well in a warmer Bordeaux.

I like this openness, experimentation and flexibility. And since all these grapes are (likely) going to be low percentage blending grapes, it seems like their purpose is to make up for deficiencies in acid, body, tannin, etc. that the traditional grapes start to develop. Bordeaux has always been about the art of the blend.

Also I prefer the idea of blending grape varietals to achieve a desired profile rather than mixing in chemically engineered manufactured tannin powder, flavor crystals, oak chips or the like. We’ll get lots of those in the market, too.

It would be interesting to know more about the selection process… offhand it seems like someone threw darts at a board.

Well, the important point is that his tireless advocacy for Bordeaux, built on the back of parroting RP, got him the access he was looking for to be able to share these exciting, if possibly erroneous, tasting notes with us.

I would definitely be interested in trying a Touriga Nacional from Bordeaux.

Yes but perhaps we are the last generation who has access to pre global warming wines. Perhaps much as we dislike Jeff’s palate, and look for traditional wines, they may disappear. And perhaps, there will be no more traditionalists to argue with him, and his mind speak becomes the norm.

what I’m hearing you say is stock up for posterity.

Like Pre-Phylloxera wines!

Yes, it’s worth noting that the grapes are being approved for Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur, somewhat struggling categories, not Cru Bourgeois, let alone classified growth Bdx.

Probably a little might be a good idea. We are seeing it to some small extent with traditional Saint Emilion. Magdelaine is fast disappearing although prices seem relatively stable. But this is a drinker’s play rather than an investment one.

Yes but perhaps we are the last generation who has access to pre global warming wines

That this is even a possibility just leaves one speechless. What are we doing to ourselves?

Well it has hit the features page of Wine Searcher. Brilliant!

It would be hard to get approval for those Crus Bourgeois wines, since it’s not an appellation at all, just a classification.

However, once the grapes are approved for use, nobody is preventing a Cru Bourgeois winery - or even a classified growth - using the varieties in a wine, as long as it is labeled Bordeaux Superieur!

Borrowing a line from REM…

This may have already been discussed, but just heard a story on NPR this morning about the changes taking place in Bordeaux. While there have been stylistic changes made by Chateau in previous years, many modernizing wine making methods as a choice, climate change has brought a new set of challenges.

Traditionally only permitted grapes Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec and Carménère were used in red wines.

In July 2019, Bordeaux wineries authorized the use of four new red grapes - Marselan, Touriga Nacional, Castets, and Arinarnoa.

While I think it is being limited in use, it’s a trend that has started and could eventually change the course of Bordeaux as we’ve known it. Are the wines of the 20th Century the last of what we’ll know as “Bordeaux”?

With dwindling supplies from the last century, I’d expect to see significant increases in prices of these wines in the coming years (not just due to supply), but the rarity of these traditionally made Bordeaux wines - especially if the top growths start using some of the new grapes.

Well, I’m glad it’s the one wine I’ve stocked up on, to some extent (in my meager cellar), as it is one of my favorites. Never heard of those grapes…

FYI, there was an active thread on this in July: New grapes approved for Bordeaux - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

The only thing that makes this ‘noteworthy’ in all honesty is the old school ‘rules and regulations’ that AOCs, DOCG’s, etc have had to live by for so long.

The bottom line is that the wine world is changing and everyone is having to change along with it. Now do you think most if many producers in Bordeaux will actually plant these varieties in the near future? My guess is no - but they can if they ‘need to’ to combat rising temperatures.

As far as the ‘End of Bordeaux’ goes, modern technology over the past 2 decades or so has radically changed the landscape of that area - as well as pretty much every region around the world. Modern science and technology have allowed winemakers to ensure that the majority of wines being produced today are ‘sound’ - something that was not the case a few decades ago. Note that I did not say ‘good’ . . .

Cheers.

Merging

Touriga Nacional is one of the primary grapes used for table and fortified wine in Portugal. Most of the table wines I’ve had from Portugal are, if I recall correctly, primarily TN. Presumably it is better suited to warmer climates than are the traditional BDX varieties. Marselan is a cabernet sauvignon/grenache blend (of all things) and I think I’ve had versions or blends including that grape from the South of France. It’s hard to imagine you could get much of either grape into the wines without fundamentally altering the character, but I suppose judicious use and proper blending might do just that. In the short run I wonder if producers are looking to use more Cabernet Franc and even Carmenere, which also seem better suited to warm weather, though in my opinion Cabernet Franc loses a lot of it’s quality when it’s too ripe. California versions generally do nothing for me and I have frequently been unable to tell what they are when tasted blind.

No one seems to be doing anything about climate change so producers will have to adjust for the short run. Sadly it will be the least of their problems, or ours, in the longer run.

The problem with Carmenere though is that it was taken out of Bordeaux after phylloxera because it didn’t graft well and was disease prone. In Chile I think most of the vines are non-grafted. In any case, I’ve never had one I thought was excellent.

Touriga Nacional is a logical choice for a warming area because it does OK in extreme heat. It produces berries with a high skin to juice ratio and a lot of tannins. AFIK it’s not related to Cab/Merlot in any way, but I can see it working and in fact, there are some producers in Portugal who are blending those grapes.

It’s mostly blended with other grapes. Most of it was ripped out after phylloxera for the same reason many other grapes were - it didn’t produce the yields people wanted. It’s only been in the past few decades that it’s come back. I think it’s like the fifth or sixth most widely planted red in Portugal. At least a few years ago, if I recall correctly it trailed Tempranillo, which I found surprising, as well as Castelão, Touriga Franca and I don’t remember what else.