New here, been studying about visionary and cult winemaker Abe Schoener.

Me sure like the Scythia. (My favorite of his to date)
budbreak: 2004 Scholium Project Syrah - Scythia Donati Vineyards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had many others. Some have been good to great, but some have been mind-boggling so-so. He sure keeps the beat to own drum, and that’s cool in my book. Keeps it interesting.

Robert Dentice should have TONS more to offer than I.
And Welcome Bill. My advice is to drink more, study less… [wink.gif]

I am definitely a fan having had Abe’s wines in 4-5 vintages. Like others I readily enjoy his white wines but I do like Sav Blanc on PEDs so there is that disclaimer. As stated above his Verdelho wines are really just excellent though the 16+% EtOH on the 08 Naucratis did throw me for a loop. Many don’t like his red wines but the most widely available are PS-based and I feel need real time sideways. 2004 Babylon can still age IMO.

He is a cool guy too but the pricing has gotten stiff considering the economy the past 2 years. Mel and I were just talking last night about whether we’d be able to buy much in the upcoming offer.

Gregg we had the 2006 Guman Vineyard Sylphs and I also thought the wine showed well that night.

I’m one of the 53 as well, and I want to echo what Glenn, Mike and Jay say. Abe’s wines are definately unique and, for the most part, very enjoyable, from sensual or intellectual perspective (or both). I think Abe’s Verdehos are terrific at their price points (I didn’t order the 2008s), and the Cena was a blast.

To be a Scholium consumer, you do have to have an interest in wines out of the ordinary, and a tolerance for WTF wines. Abe often sources his fruit from unusual places (I think the Verdejo is from the Sacramento delta), and he certainly a taste for risk. For me, it’s worth it as I enjoy lots of what Abe comes up with. I have had a couple of whites that were too oxidized for my palate and one or two with other defects. And these wines aren’t cheap. But for now, the benefits are worth the costs for me - I’m not sure if this will continue if Abe keeps shipping occasionally defective wines at this price level, but for now, I’m in.

Randy,
I was referring to the Scholium wines.

The only place I’ve ever seen a Match wine in Louisiana is in my Vinotemp and it came from the source [grin.gif]

+1

The one I tried was not Petite sirah.

I think we’re seeing the mixed reaction to Abe’s wines right here in this thread. I’m with Ken Rudman. I’ve had a few and found them hit or miss. Some people just aren’t going to tolerate oxidation. Others might put up with more wildness than I will. In the end, I LOVE what Abe’s doing even if I don’t love everything I’ve tasted. He’s striving for something unique and using techniques (or not using techniques) to get there. As a winemaker, I admire his guts and his ability to find an audience.

Mike, very helpful, thanks! I must admit that I enjoy BOTH studying and drinking, but haven’t figured out how to make any money drinking yet!

I think it may have been a Scheria (syrah), but by the time I got to it, the bottle was empty. It probably would have been cool to have done a census of the bottles in attendance…

And to be clear, on balance I have liked more than I have disliked. My main challenge at this point is with the pricing. I just can’t afford to try as many as I’d like.

Anyone have an idea exactly when the “upcoming offer” will happen? Probably a bit late for a Spring release at this point?