New Range Advice/Opinions/Comments...Blue Star 48"

Setup will look like this, except for the color.
kitchen004.jpg

That is very sweet. What are you doing for a hood?

I would suggest a small to medium size jet engine. [wow.gif]

George

Vent A Hood liner rated at 900 CFM (600 and 300 CFM blowers) with direct outside venting. Will have a cabinet matching shell that fits over the liner so as not to be too “professional” looking. Blue Star offers their own color matched hood, but that would be a tough one to swing with Kristi as I am sure it would not fly during ladies’ night out. :wink:

Here is the matching hood and the color we are looking at. Range is a 48" with the French Burner and solid door on the small oven.

Again… looks perfect you can never have 2 much hood. Outside venting is an absolute must.

GH

Awesome!!

Oh, and we are going with the side opening French Doors on the oven vs. the traditional downward opening.

Looks awesome. I could have used 6 burners last night. Looking forward to getting one someday.

I don’t need more than 4 burners very often though. Under what circumstances do you all find you need 5 or 6?

Not at my house currently, but at several other’s, I have cooked for upward of 100+ people. Burner and oven space really gets cramped if you need a sauce, side or to keep something warm. If I thought I could physically swing it, I would have gone 60" with the dual full sized ovens. Space and spouse factor ultimately overruled that ambition.

Also, if using 12" or 14" saute/fry pans, the extra real estate is very helpful to keep the pan centered on the burner.

That is a great option. Wish it was available when I bought.

George

Wow, that’s almost enough for me to replace my mediocre Kitchenaid that came with the condo despite the fact that I can’t use the really powerful burners for anything but boiling water (no outside venting).

It is pretty slick.

If you go on the Blue Star site, you can select an option to configure your range…color, accents, burners, etc. The Cobalt Blue with Brass accents is pretty slick with the French Doors.

Nice range Bill!

Bill, we got our 36" Blue Star right before Thanksgiving. Replaced a 20 year old Viking. Two Burners on either side and the grill in the middle. I would make sure that you get one of the simmer burners – the main burners are bleeping blowtorches. MUCH hotter than the the Viking (18k?) and even on low, they are too hot for delicate things or “keep warm”. So far we love it, but the burners and the convection oven took a while to get used to. (also the knob config is opposite from the Viking that I’ve used for 20 years so that is screwing me up still)

I would avoid a griddle for the reason that Chuck laid out.

One thing I would like your feedback on when you start cooking…our convection fan seems kinda loud. Never had one so not sure if that is normal.

Good point on the simmer burner.

if you can, get a remote blower for the hood. Mine is about 900 cfm that vents outside, but the motor is awful loud inside the hood.

Bill - I’m with Chris on the simmer. If you go full monty on all burners w/ the 22k I think you’ve made a mistake. 4 or 6 ass-kickers are all you need, I’d add two simmer burners and go 6 nova’s.

I personally love the french doors.

Hejna -I think one thing that appeals to the Blue Star fans is the size of the ovens. If memory serves, on their 48" oven the smaller oven is still deep enough to take a 1/2 sheet pan and run it in there front to back where the main oven is large enough to handle a full size sheet pan. This feature makes this a great solution for those that may not have room for double wall ovens or wish to replace wall oven space with something else (like a wine cooler william!!!).

I’ve cooked on George’s Dacor many times and truly like it. I do find ranges to have a little bit of an issue with how low you need to stoop to get the food out of the oven - but, the French door feature may alleviate that a bit - or alleviate the feeling of stretching across that expansive oven door to get your food.

Chris Blum - I have a convection oven,albeit a cheap one, and the fan isn’t quiet at all so unless you’re reaching Boeing noises, you’re likely fine. There are many free dB applications for the iPhone if you have one, get one, take a reading and see what Blue Star tells you is a standard operating range.

Really does not matter at this point.

Word of advice, do not try to do business with Grand Homes.

Thanks for everyone’s opinions…greatly appreciated.

We have a Blue Star and bought an extra 22k burner but ended up keeping the simmer burner. We use it all the time.

Capital Cullinarian and Blue Star have almost identical specs so it’s not surprising that owners of both like which ever brand they own.

What is this simmer you talk about???

It is all about BTUs baby. The more the better.

George