NEW TEST FORUM IS POSTED - ready for you to play around...

I’m amazed by people who have their web browser the full size of their 24"/27" screens.

What does WB look like (current/this one) full screen like that?

Fair enough. But I didn’t mean white text on a black background. Just switching the normal font color from black to dark grey and then using black for emphasis on headings and names.

1 Like

Most web sites are loosely designed around a landscape orientation as opposed to portrait so whether full screen or reduced Im still 3:1 or something like that.

I admit to being a little inconsistent. Most of the time I use ipad for WB, holding it in portrait mode. I don’t used desk so much for WB. The browser is full screen for other purposes; and Im too lazy to resize it for WB.

My current username is apparently too long for the test site; it would be nice if we could increase character limit on usernames.

Delete

“The goal is to preserve the ongoing growth and spirit of the community but also to attract new blood, re: Millennials, as they expect to be communicating on a site that is similar to how we’ve all been trained lately with social media - ‘reactions’ instead of smilies, spacing, lack of colored background, formatting, embedded articles/pages, etc.“

You think a millennial is going to somehow get to or find WB and not post/sign up/pay because it looks “old”, but somehow get to or find WB on Discourse and post/sign up/pay because it doesn’t look “old”. If that is how the world works these days, then the only thing old is me!!!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the draft/test format doesn’t do it for me. But happy to give it a whirl to provide objective, rather than subjective, comments.

That aside, I’m pretty much tethered to my laptop for work purposes, so use full size for almost everything. Never use phone app or tablet. I might be in a minority. With aging eyes (and now recovering from a second eye surgery), I’ll likely never switch to some other device. A line needs to be walked between attracting millennials (who, I hope, would be attracted to wine conversations more so that site layout) and losing older members who legitimately can have difficulty adapting. CellarTracker, by the way, still has its “classic” version available.

Can you sticky this post please?

For reference, my browser is ~ 70% of my screen width.
A comparison of current WB vs Trydiscourse for whitespace. Discourse seems to be designed to encourage vertical scrolling.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 090048.png

That was me. I noted in the other thread it took me over a year from when I first landed on WB to when I started using it. I figured there was no way a website with a design out of 2008 could attract valuable content.

1 Like

Poking around a little bit more while I wait for my account to be approved, and I don’t like the huge amount of wasted space on the Discourse site. Even on my iPad mini it’s a overwhelming amount of whitespace. It does look pretty decent on a phone, but I am much more likely to use my iPad or laptop for this site. Ends up with a format optimized for the device I would use the least.

2 Likes

So it’s not stuck in the outbox? Interesting.

giphy.gif

I’ll take care of that

Initial impression, pre-approval to post

• As often, the modern site default is quite starkly white. I’m not too bothered by that, but some will be.
  • Latest and Top are good default options for ordering, but I also like ‘new’ to be able to see new topics in date order, not just ordered by most recent / popular replies
  • I’m not convinced the date ranges offer much benefit, but will try it out
  • Colours against categories works well for me, though I’m sure we’ll have some colour-blind users, so consult with them to at least avoid having problem colours next to each other.
  • Do you need that extra approval step for new users? Perhaps it’s an essential anti-spammer step, but if the change is to attract new users, does this put some off?
  • the graphical timeline view of the thread may prove practical for faster navigation, but imo it’s too large, wasting 1/4 of the screen, can it be resized?
  • can the topic stats go above the 1st post and not below it?

We are going to edit the css and come up with a happy medium that is more landscape friendly for those who use a huge browser window JulianD

How about you just give us curmudgeons a classic mode and then you can transform into Vivino 2.0 without listening to us complain about it?

It doesn’t allow spaces either