New toy: Pressure cooker

Reese,

Info courtesy of my pressure cooker instruction booklet [paraphrasing]:

If the lid is hard to remove, lube the mating surfaces of the lid/pot with some vegetable oil prior to using. If it’s operating correctly, a pressure cooker shouldn’t create a vacuum, it should have a vacuum release feature because a vacuum could draw all the moisture out of vegetables, say, if that’s what you were cooking.

The one I currently have was a gift from a friend who rarely used it, a '40s design National Pressure Cooker Company #7, a huge old thing. I just used it to sterilize some jars for canning, but it’s been unused otherwise. I think a smaller, more modern design would be more useful for me.

After having the pressure cooker risotto at Jeff’s house a couple of years ago, I bought one and have made it a few times. [thankyou.gif] With the pressure cooker, risotto is a piece of cake. [winner.gif]

I love my Kuhn Rikon 8qt stock pot pressure cooker, great for making stock in no time, artichokes are so good in it and they cook very fast, great with beans, lentils, etc.
But with risotto I still like making it the traditional way.

Thanks Frank. I tried this and I did notice a slight difference. As I was depressurizing I heard a whoosh-pop (or was it a pop-whoosh?) and I thought “it worked” but then the pot went immediately to vacuum as usual. No worries tho as I now know how to handle this situation… back onto the stove to neutralize the vacuum. I think I just have a crappy PC but I’m learning how to work with it.

Reese.