New Wine - Maitre de Chai

MUCH better - thank you very much!

Really interested in that sparkling chenin. Anyone try that yet??

I believe I have tried most of the MDC releases to date. May not be for everyone, but if you like tension, freshness, good acid and no RS and not much extraction, you may very well enjoy these. They lean into typicity and balance. Good prices, too.

1 Like

Had a glass of the 2019 maitre de chai kierkegaard chenin blanc off the by the glass list at Miller Union

( which remains fantastic indoor or outdoor for a wonderful birthday dinner for my much better half)

very soulful wine with a mineral lushness with smoky, amber, umami nuttiness. Dried apples with a lacy crystalline brown sugar suggestion. Creamy but defined palate. It was as delish a new find I have had in a while. It was really compelling and I picked up 3 more today

(off the Aria restaurants online store, another fantastic Atlanta gem that hopefully has made it through the year.)

3 Likes

Well after reading through some of the comments on this thread, I’m tempted to dive in head first… does anyone have any thoughts on the Massa vs. Gala Cabernets? For sure going to be grabbing a few bottles of the Stampede Zinfandel, Rosé, and the Sauvignon Blanc Reserve… But debating on whether to go with both cabs, or stick to one…

Heard the Cab’s are great, but not entirely sure if that was based on just one or both…

Thanks Adam - guess I might as well just bite the bullet and get both…

I kept banging on about this Zin, but haven’t had it in awhile, now. Has anyone else tried it since and did you agree?

Had the Chenin the other night and thought it was right tasty. And a steal at $20 retail (so I’m told)

1 Like

Robert, how do the cabs compare to Ketan’s in terms of style?

Nice man! The sparkling chenin, yeah?

I would say similar. Maybe not quite as serious and more approachable earlier on.

Thanks, looks like I should give them a try.

Bumping this thread because of the insanely generous Berserker day offering coming! Still shaking my head they are offering an age worthy Napa can for $29 a bottle with a case purchase. And this Zinfandel is one of my favorites.

1 Like

I definitely agree. They were all so good i had to go for the mixed case of everything!

Antonio Galloni raved about the 21 Maitre-de-Chai Gala Cab in his recent reviews! Very high score, glowing write up and I think he said it was the best value in all of Napa.

Congrats @marty_w and Alex!

1 Like

2020 was great last year! Wish i had gotten more!

Robert – Thanks so much!! Both Alex and I are humbled by the words he had for all of the wines.

“I was super impressed with the wines I tasted from Maître de Chai. Marty Winters and Alex Pitts met as young chefs working in some of California’s most prestigious kitchens. Over the years, both of their career paths led to wine. Winters and Pitts founded Maître de Chai in 2012 and have quietly built their range since then. The wines draw from a number of sites across several appellations in northern California, all done in a style that emphasizes freshness and verve. As readers will discover, a number of wines in this lineup are truly compelling, most notably the 2021 Cabernet Sauvignon Gala Vineyard, which may very well be the single best value in Napa Valley Cabernet today.” -AG

He also gave rave reviews on most of our other wines and had very kind things to say about the Sparkling Solera, Stampede Zinfandel, and Ellison Sauvignon Blanc all of which scored 93pts. We’re pretty pumped for the recognition.

3 Likes

Congrats team! Wished i had gotten more 2020 cab but wanted the variety of all the wines with so much cab in the cellar. Will the 21 Gala be available for BD? Dont see it on the website.