New York City Restaurants

Thanks for the report Jay. Always good to know of new venues on the UWS.

Tried to get reservation for Dirty French for Dec 1 or 2. No dice. :frowning: :frowning:

Scott Bryan made a plate of sweetbreads that wasn’t the best in the City? That’s the first time that’s happened in 20 years . . .

marta
stopped in last sunday lunchtime and lucked into a single bar stool. this is a busy restaurant after only 7 weeks and seemingly showing no signs of slowing down. it is a very large, noisy room in a new hotel on 29th st. i had fritto misto and the octopus apps and then a white pizza called a cavolini with brussel sprouts and chiles and some other healthy-ish sounding stuff. everything was good to great including the pizza, which if i had any complaint would be that some of the slices were so crisp that they cracked instead of folding. my only other complaint about the food was that in the fritto there were little fish that to me look like what i snapper fish with. head on and i guess not cleaned as they seemed truly “whole.” i remember this from venice and just can’t figure out how people eat those things!!
there is a great list of champagnes and italian wines at seemingly realistic prices. walking distance from penn, this is a gem if you can get in

Fan of Marta. Solid food with great energy in the room.

Cosme, on the other hand doesn’t come close to living up the hype. Mediocre food with the octopus as chewy as a ball of rubber bands and the lobster wasn’t dissimilar. Corkage was $50, not that it matters since I doubt I will be returning.

Went to Red Farm (UWS) last night for dinner. Dim sum & other apps were decent to good. Crispy shredded beef was excellent. Our mains (bacon & egg fried rice + short rib udon) were a big disappointment.

Cocktails were good.

this is indeed bad news. i had great hopes for this place

I’ve been a couple times. I thought some things were good and others not so much. Also way too rushed. I doubt I’ll go back.

Thanks to everyone for all these reports on relatively new restaurants. I, truthfully, had very little knowledge of them and look forward to trying some this upcoming visit.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

Me too! I have reservations here for my birthday, though I have a backup at Le Grenouille…waiting to see a few more reviews.

I find the food very variable at Red Farm. Some things (like the Pastrami Spring Rolls) are great. Others are meh.

We ate in the bar room here last night. The food was very good. THe front room has a nice quiet ambiance, which they ruined halfway through the meal by turning the TV on. The main room did seem noisy, though it’s a very attractive room. Service in the bar area was laughably bad. However the food is very good, and I’m sure once service issues are ironed out it will be a fantastic restaurant. Besides the cod, we had the octopus and rabbit pasta, both great.

Had dinner last night at Tuome and really enjoyed it–could pretty much guess from the menu it’d be up our alley, and it doesn’t hurt that it’s within walking distance. There was an extended hush over our table after the “pig out for two” came out as our mouths were too full to keep talking. The one dish we tried that disappointed was the sticky rice with duck fat, Chinese sausage, and kale; we felt like you could get a version just as good if not better at any dim sum place, although it wouldn’t have involved duck fat or kale.

Hit up Marta on Saturday night. Totally loved it. BYO friendly at $25 for corkage. Had the carbonara pizza with white truffles, which was insane. Bunch of apps including the delicious octopus and a few entrees. Overall, on the “will return soon” list.

Reporting back…

Estela- The menu did not excite me, but damn what they brought to the table blew all expectations. Creative with excellent execution.

Marea- Food and service were excellent and the cost was reasonable considering the quality and location.

Contra- Solid, but a step down in class from the prior 2 nights.

Charlie Bird- I went for lunch at the bar on a Sunday and loved my rabbit special so much that I went back for their signature chicken for dinner. The food is terrific and I loved the by the glass program. I will go back on my next trip for sure.

What was the noise level like at Estela? One friend told me the food was amazing but he’s not going back because of the noise which makes me leery of trying it.

On a 10 scale, It was a 7 or 8. The tables are very close in much of the restaurant, so you tend to lean a little to focus on your crowd’s words and ignore the rest. Not a place for a relaxed evening of conversation.

I hit Marta and the Milling Room within the past week. The Milling Room was nearly empty, which made for a bit of a cavernous, library-like space. Food was typical Scott Bryan though, almost too much so - oh hi salmon dish from Apiary! Long time no see. Still, excellent - my only concern would be whether they can maintain quality when full with all those tables.

Marta was very good (mmmm white truffles) but, you know, its pizza. Hard to be that excited by another Danny Meyer Profit Center ™. Great BTG though.

Finally made it to Shuko and it was outstanding as good or better than Neta. Beautiful space.

Highly recommend it.

[winner.gif] RECAP http://themillingroom.com/ Colombus Ave/West 82nd - CORKAGE FEE $30
Brad Kane "A bunch of us went there Tuesday and had a wonderful meal there. Hopefully, Jay Miller will also share his opinion as he was with us.

We told Scott to just put together a four course menu for us and it included the hamachi tartar, cod with shellfish bouillabaisse broth, white bean puree and aioli, crisped sweetbreads with pickled fennel and capers, a duck breast that was not on the menu and a cheese plate. All done nicely, with the cod dish being one of the best things I’ve eaten this year.

I will say it’s a bit of an odd space. Rather large with funny acoustics that they may want to put something up on the walls to help soften."

Jay Miller "Had a really good meal at The Milling Room, Scott Bryan’s new restaurant on the UWS, last night.

Recommendations - when he came out to talk to the table he mentioned that he’s in the kitchen Tuesday-Saturday so those are probably the best nights to go. Get the Atlantic Codfish with Shellfish Bouillabaisse Broth! Hamachi Tartar (great match with '95 Winston Churchill) and Duck Breast were other highlights. Sweetbreads were quite good but a notch lower than the other courses.

No word on corkage policies yet, my understanding is that they have no current plans to do an Apiary style corkage free Monday.

The room is beautiful but I’m concerned that it might become noisy when full. A Tuesday night two weeks into opening was fine.

I’d say the food was a definite step up from the Apiary days. "

D. Zylberberg "Scott Bryan made a plate of sweetbreads that wasn’t the best in the City? That’s the first time that’s happened in 20 years . . . "

Ethan Abraham “We ate in the bar room here last night. The food was very good. THe front room has a nice quiet ambiance, which they ruined halfway through the meal by turning the TV on. The main room did seem noisy, though it’s a very attractive room. Service in the bar area was laughably bad. However the food is very good, and I’m sure once service issues are ironed out it will be a fantastic restaurant. Besides the cod, we had the octopus and rabbit pasta, both great.”

D. Zylberberg “The Milling Room was nearly empty, which made for a bit of a cavernous, library-like space. Food was typical Scott Bryan though, almost too much so - oh hi salmon dish from Apiary! Long time no see. Still, excellent - my only concern would be whether they can maintain quality when full with all those tables.”

Jay Miller “… go on a night when Scott Bryan is in the kitchen.”
… otherwise a contrary view …

[thankyou.gif]Margie Russell "Thank you all for your comments on the Milling Room. We ate at the bar, had the sweetbreads and the cod and Scott was in the kitchen. Sweetbreads were excellent, but the cod with the bouillabaisse broth and the aioli was a wow moment for me. I found a new/old home since I know the space well having been to every establishment at that location since 1984. CORKAGE FEE $30 http://themillingroom.com/