New York wine consumers, please note.

Really good or really bad doesn’t matter - what’s one to you is the other to me. The problem here is that the parties who would be interested in the issue constitute a very small part of the voting public.

Howard - what’s more likely is that some wines from private collectors will go to Acker and Zachy’s for auction because those are covered under different rules. Used to be, a retailer could do auctions if it had been in business for some number of years but I think that’s changed now and you’re stuck with the existing guys.

And for the rest, as Mark says, the market will just be compressed.

Sent but with a modified email address and phone number .

We always knew this day would come too soon.

Encouraging my NY family to respond immediately.

NY wine rules make very little sense. On the one hand, favors big distributors, on the other prevents multiple retail outlets that could improve buying power. In both cases, hurts the consumer in a state that 1) produces wine and 2) has an enormous number of upper end dining establishments. But, hey, at least you can ship wine out of the state to my state–even as I cannot ship wine into NYS.

Just sent to my family in NY to join the fight. This would be horrible legislation for consumers.

It’s not clear to me that the link I’ve received from a large number of wine shops this week is as targeted as it should be. It never asks for my address so it has no way of knowing who my State Senator and Assembly member is. I ended up going to the NY State Senate website https://www.nysenate.gov/find-my-senator and the NY State Assembly website Assembly Member Search | New York State Assembly where you can locate your lawmakers by typing in your address. The Senate site required the painful process of setting up a password just to email your senator, but I thought it was worthwhile.

Got an error message that my out-of-state address makes me ineligible to file. Pretty easy to modify that…

Form letters are better than nothing but an individualized letter, even a short one, is much more likely to get attention.

DC tried this about 10 years ago but it never went anywhere. Even as a Maryland resident I wrote a letter to the head of the DC Council indicating I spent $1000+ a year in DC wine stores because of the much better selection.

There are a number of Westchester residents on this board. The sponsoring state Senator represents Westchester. Please let him know that supporting such an anti consumer has consequences.

Update, the bill did not advance but maybe reintroduced next year.
Got a letter from Deborah Glick (assembly member)

June 22, 2018

Thank you for your email in opposition to Assembly Bill 10737 that would require that all wine and liquor sold in NYS be received from a primary American source of supply.

The long standing process by which wines are distributed is through a 3 tier system of producers – distributors and retailers. I see no reason to change this system. I do think there is another issue at hand, which has been individual collectors liquidating those collections of certain vintages and how to accommodate this more selective type of sale. This bill did not advance, but I will be certain to take your concerns into account if it is reintroduced for the 2019 Legislative Session.

There are just too few good honest people in politics on any side. They do not have our back.

From my Noo Yawk state senator:

Dear Mr. Hong
Thank you for contacting my office regarding your objection to S5437/A10737, which would require all wines and liquors sold in the state to be manufactured or distributed from a primary American source. I also oppose this legislation for a number of reasons.

This legislation would benefit monopolists and would negatively affect consumers. It could drive up wine prices, limit the selection of these beverages in New York State, and negatively influence New York City’s renowned wine culture. This legislation may also potentially disrupt the existing market for wholesale wine distributors. Wines from outside sources pose no threat to consumers.

I will continue to inform my colleagues on the risks posed by this potential legislation, and will certainly vote against it if it comes to the floor. Thank you for taking the time out to write and please do not hesitate to contact me with any other issues.
Sincerely,
Liz Krueger
State Senator

I am meeting either in person or in conference call with Terence Murphy, my local state senator and sponsor of the bill. I will report back if and when that happens.

Give him heck, Mark!

I checked his contributors and could not find anything from the wholesalers. I am actually curious as to why he sponsored the bill.

At times, politicians will do so for a friend in order to obfuscate the real sponsor. Who knows if that is the case here. Please report back.