Newbie Intro - Shiba Wichern Cellars

I totally thought I had responded to your question, but I don’t see it in this thread. I guess I never hit submit…

Outside of BD12, the best way to contact us for custom mix & match orders is to email or call. The email and phone on the website are mine and I am the guy who packs, ships and invoices. A slicker online sales interface is on the wish list, but there are a few other things in front of it right now.

That said, I am always open to suggestions and wrt to the BD12 offerings, let’s leave it at “nothing is finalized yet…”

Oh, man, you made me dig out the 2017 harvest notebook.

Cliff notes: Not much. <5% whole cluster.

In 2017 we picked our three blocks at Lewman separately. Lewman vineyard was, without going into too much detail, a bit of a handful from the vineyard management perspective. The end result was that we had to be extremely vigilant, because each block behaved so differently. Normally we would prefer to pick and ferment all of the clones at once despite some small maturity and ripeness differences. (In fact, it is just these differences that we actually target when we co-pick different clones and varietals.) But in 2017 a handful of things forced us to pick and ferment them separately.

In the end the we picked the 777 first and it got 100% destemmed. The 115 was next it got around 10% whole cluster (16 out of 160 picking bins). The pommard was last and it was also 100% destemmed. We are generally early pickers (although we are more mid-pack on timing for the past few years). Early picking means that the stems are less lignified, which in turn means that for our goals we need to take it easy on the whole cluster.

To be clear on two points: 1) <5% may not seem like much, but even a little makes a noticeable difference. 2) Even though Lewman vineyard was often a handful, it was 100% worth every long backbreaking day.

Welcome Akiko & Chris ! Great to see another small winery joining BeserkerDay12. I do hope that your auxerrois wines will be offered on Berserker Day…Gary

Add - So I assume orders that are to be shipped east of you will wait until Spring time?

I look forward to trying!
Another must buy!
Love your story.

Ken

Thanks for the welcome, Gary! We are under strict orders not to tell you what is going to be in our offers. So, we’ll just have to let the suspense build…

Yeah, we would probably want to wait until the weather breaks before shipping out to the east coast. I know it is a bit of a buzzkill having to wait until spring, but on the other hand it is better for the wine.

Thank you, Ken & all Berserkers.

The welcome here has been great. On some other forums (cars & bikes) I have visited over the years the welcome is not always quite so “warm” for newbies.

excited to see this offer!

I agree with everyone else — this winery (and wine!) sound wonderful. I’m in!