Newport RI restaurants, etc.

Thanks, Yaacov, this looks to be right up my alley. No NYC this trip; we will be visiting Katie in Norwalk on the way to Paris (hopefully) and will spend a few nights in Newport. I’ve never been before. Any hotel recs?

have only rented weeklies or stayed at bnbs. but any of the top places on the water are spectacular.

I was afraid you were going to say that; the top places on the water look spectacular and spectacularly expensive!

My recommendation for lodging:

https://liladelman.com/rental/147-harrison-avenue-newport/

Very comfortable but convenient to sailboat racing.

Don’t stay at the old jail motel.

Castle Hill Inn is the place to stay. I cheaped out and regretted it every day. I tried to get a room, any room, while we were there and was shooed away.

Sold out our dates. Anyone know Forty 1 North? It looks good and has one water view room remaining.

only for drinks. the location is great if you’re optimizing for being in the thick of it (by newport standards!). walking distance to all of the main areas of town.

+1 on Matunuck Oyster bar, Ate there last month and were seated on the pontoon boat away from the noise and bustle of the main dining area and roof top area.
Had a really nice meal at Restaurat Bouchard.
For some fun checkout The Pineapple Club on Goat Island. Great views of the Pell Bridge at sunset.
Also checkout the roof top bat at the Vanderbilt Hotel overlooking Newport Harbor The Roof Deck at The Vanderbilt | Rooftop Bar in Newport, Rhode Island

Bouchard wasn’t terrible but not worth the high price IMO. We had an amazing meal at Tallulah on Thames and it was so good we went back our last night. The chef/owner has a great passion for his craft and put together a special menu for my wife to accommodate her significant food allergies at the time. Sadly they’ve been closed since 2016.

Here is my view

Italian

1. Guisto - new in last year- only been once but everything I tried was very good. Chefs sampler is a nice option.
  2. Bar Cino
  3. Mama Luisa

Seafood

1. Fluke
  2. I wouldn’t go to Matunick if I was visiting Newport, Anthonys is Middletown is just as good and closer (but not as nice ambiance). Portuguese Fish Chowder is my GOAT soup

Bouchard and 22 Bowens and mooring are nice but overpriced IMO

For drinks

1. Castle Hill (as above, bit overpriced for food but amazing views for an expensive but well worth it cocktail)
  2. In the winter - White Horse
  3. Gurnsey hotel on goat island for Sunset (lobster shack by there is great as well)
  4. Stoneacre - while waiting for table at Bar Cino
  5. Bring a bottle to Fort Adams for sunset

Breakfast - Corner Cafe- but would only go very early if in summer. They have BYOB pizzas / flatbreads at night that are pretty good if you really want BYOB

Best bar food / local place

1. Pour Judgemnt
  2. Mission Burgers

Vegan -

1. Sprout and Lentil ( more takout / small tables outside)
1 Like

Harbour Court is nice, if you can go there.