Newsom orders all California wineries to close

From what I read on this it only applies to the Hospitality side of any wine business. Not production or vineyard work as long as SD is in place. That may change. Think about what you were doing 2 weeks ago. This is accelerating, not showing signs of ebbing. Another aspect I just thought about yesterday, with the shutdown of international travel it will be difficult for foreign harvest interns to get here and likely go through a lengthy quarantine which will make domestic-based workers in higher demand. It will also curtail travel for freelance writers of all stripes who derive their incomes by selling stories.

It is very unlikely the interns will be able to get here, as we have cancelled all new starts ourselves due to the inability to get Foreign Nationals through.

Unless they come through Casablanca, with a short visit to Rick’s Cafe…

Are you suggesting that wineries are ‘non-essential’?

I think “essential” means mostly health care, grocery stores, and the like…

As a science laboratory, we are deemed as “non-essential”, so my guess is that the wineries are not going to do better than us. But again, this would be in the 6 country area, so I assume Napa and Sonoma are excluded from this…

Essential to some of us for sure! [cheers.gif]

The actual orders have details about what types of businesses and activities are exempted, I posted the Alameda County link above but they aren’t difficult to find. There are a lot of businesses that are exempt.

-Al

I don’t see your post above, at least not after March 15. The shelter in place was the 16th, so I don’t see where the businesses are mentioned.

Monday and today we have had people come in looking for “Napa wine” because the winery tasting rooms are closed. It was obvious they were not wine geeks and were buying because they were in “Napa.” Neither group spent as much as they would have paid for a tasting at most tasting rooms. I think the tasting rooms could have stayed open with restricted occupation numbers, but nobody is coming here anyway.

The link to the Alameda County shelter in place order was on the main thread (sorry, I was on an iPhone and actually at work).

-Al

I was kidding.

Per Sonoma County:
3E7D1E35-5551-42F8-8A27-B449F214CF83.jpeg
ADAA5297-F5F8-4950-A55D-D6FF01A14542.jpeg
A3E0BCE5-DD60-4D98-A400-52BB75FF2214.jpeg
That just about covers it!

Social distancing at Chambers beyond six inches is often impossible- most Manhattan stores have a paucity of floor space, so people are going to be in very close proximity if street traffic is allowed through the front door. People can still order online or by phone and get deliveries, so the largess of their well-selected inventory will not be taken away from anyone- just no shelf browsing for the time being. It seems a very responsible move to me.

Bars, clubs, to close as well; restaurants to cut capacity by 50%. Sad to see this news, but it makes sense given the rapid spread of COVID-19.

MN restaurants are all take out only. I just saw that all golf courses (beginning our season here) are shut down until the end of the month also.