NewYorkers Now Have Everything: WineShop of Only OrangeWines

Maybe you can post this definition in its own thread, and have Todd sticky it, so that every time you post ViniMacerati, you can link it to that sticky thread so that people can look up this term. Or you could just call them orange wines. :smiley:

Thanks, Levi, for clarifying that. I just remember the term “orange wine” being associated with your name. I stand corrected.
At those days long ago, it was Gravner/Radikon/Georgia, a bit of Slovenia, who were making those wines. Often in large Qvervi w/
prolonged skin-contact, often rather oxidized. The wines were, by & large, orange in color.
But as the process spread to other places, the skin-contact process changed and some/many were no longer orange in color.
I remember serving one of these lighter versions that was near colorless, but still had plenty of phenolic character, to a friend & labeled
it as an “orange” wine. He gave me this puzzled look because the wine was nowhere near orange in color. So at that point, I started
using the term “skin-contact whites”, regardless of the color, to characterize those wines. When Bobby & Lachlan’s book came out and
Bobby characterized those (white) wines as “vini macerati”, I knew, right then that, bingo, that was the term I was going to use.
But the issue is rather moot, because we all understand that
“orange wine”=“skin-contact white wine”= “vini macerati”

As you say about “podcast”, we all understand what the term means. Let’s, indeed, move on.
Tom

I tend to say “macerated whites” with wine geeks. They always know what I mean. “Orange wines” works fine in other groups. No single term describes them all correctly, in a literal sense, unless it’s too long to be useful in conversation.

The French term “rosé” seems to have caught on for pinkish wines from anywhere. Go figure.

I agree that as long as people generally know what you mean, it doesn’t matter.

Oh, and my success rate for drinkability (not a drain pour) on natural orange wines is pretty low. I do like some, though.

talk about specialized! Wow.

I don’t know what you’ve had, but this doesn’t correspond to my experiences. Most orange wines I’ve had don’t show any oxidized character.

This shop’s first job is already successful - folks are noticing and talking about them. As a niche shop, that’s one of the biggest challenges for sure.

This style of wine is certainly not my favorite, and I agree with others that my ‘miss rate’ has been much higher than finding ones that are spectacular. I have had a couple of Gravners thanks to the generosity of someone on the boards here that were darn right fantastic, but have had others that simply didn’t float my boar.

I wish the store good luck . . .

Cheers.

My dad used to have a warehouse on that block (perhaps in that building) in the 1960s. The entire neighborhood was a shithole. My mother used to hate it when my father took me there because she thought it was too dangerous. However, he used it to teach me charity - he drove around the neighborhood and found what were then known as “bums.” He hired them to come and help us for a few hours in the warehouse. Nice to see that the gentrification has upped the quality of the neighborhood. I’ll have to stop by the next time I am downtown. Need to help local businesses get back on their feet.

Thanks Tom for the OP. Where I live there are 2 stores within biking distance that only sell what they import (North Berkeley Wine & Kermit Lynch). So, for me, the concept of an “orange” wine store doesn’t seem that far fetched. I for one wouldn’t mind checking it out.

That was such a great dinner.

You should move to NYC and open a wine store devoted solely to Ridge wines. Open it up right next to the orange wine store and show people what wine should taste like.