Next of Kyn #9 Wood Box..WOW!

Sorry to be a counterpoint to the justified reaction of this gaudy over the top box that when delivered to me the other day was so huge it could fit a flat screen TV. If I was looking for a box to hang on the wall on hold stuff would be great but feel sad thst some trees were cut down for something so frivolous . I.like Manfreds wines and have bought their stuff from SQN to NOK and Third Twin . But cutting down trees to make art that will be discarded is not very nice to MOTHER nature !

san leonardo.jpg
Wood aged Port, average age 102 years old. Fabulous stuff. Cedar and cork box.
Quinta do Mourao, the producer, has a large stock of old wood aged Ports. They also recently released a 90 year old White Port in a similar box which is also stupendous.

Just got my first offer delivered and was surprised by the box… the paint/stain seemed fresh so I took the wine out and left the box out of the cellar - not sure I want that stuff de-gassing around my wine (had the same concern with the Rhys Hillside boxes). As wine nut/collector they are kind of cool, but if optional I would opt out of the boxes.

+1

Definitely a fun thread, but what about the wines? I waited a long time to get on the NOK list. I have #8 and #9 sitting in the cellar, haven’t even opened the boxes as I figured it was far too early. Now I’m looking at the offer for #10 and wondering if it’s luxury I can afford in my old age. I’ll never drop SQN, but I wonder if NOK gives me something that I’m not already getting with SQN. I searched for a tasting thread and couldn’t find anything.

The wines are very reminiscent of SQN. Maybe a tiny bit less polished and bit more complex and wild. If you enjoy SQN, then you will probably enjoy NOK equally,

A group of us drank all 9 NoKs last month. The first release was the only one to show any evolution at all; the remainder were all pretty much indistinguishable from each other and very primary.

Thanks. You’ve helped with the decision. Gotta make those tough choices in retirement.

Let us know how the box tastes!