Non-buzz wineries

DCV has always been known for their SauvBlancs. Their Taylor’sVnyd SB and their Sauv Musque (particularly) are excellent, two of the few Calif SB I buy. Nice
understated herbality, touch of oak, rich & textured. Probably it’s their Zins that are my favorites. The Heritage Zin at $19 is a screamin’ deal. The BeesonRanch
and SomersRanch are my favorites; classic DryCreek raspberry/spicy Zin, modest alcohol; both just bright zippy vibrant Zins as good as any in the DryCreekVlly.
The OldVines is a bit bigger/richer w/ more oak, almost up to the Ottimino level (another non-buzz wnry). They’ve just released their first RRV Chard, and a mighty
fine one it is; the equivallent of some twice the $'s. I’m not much of a Cabernet fan, but the DCV (and MonteBello) Cabs are some of the few I consistently buy;
including the Meritage. They’re light of foot, great DCV spiciness, modest oak, very polished/well-made.
OTOH, their CheninBlanc doesn’t ring my chimes. From the ClarksburgDelta/WilsonVnyd. Not any minerality, just a pleasant/simple fruitiness; sort of a
dull/plodding wine.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. I’ll take a look for those Beeson and Somers zins, they sound right up my alley. It sounds from your description that they probably age well, too?

I would certainly put Au Bon Climat and Qupe in this category, as well as Edmunds St John - wineries that produce beautiful wines year in and year out that truly stand the test of time in the bottle . . .

Tom, I found an online retailer selling the 2001 Somers for $18 and the 2001 Beeson for $14, probably just clearing out old inventory for cheap. Would these be a worthwhile way to experiment with those zins, or do you think that’s too old (I generally like aged zins, at least ones that are suitable for aging)?

Dry Creek being the non-buzz winery that it is, there isn’t much on CT about these. Thanks.

Larry,
I didn’t include EdmundsStJohn in my list because there already seems to be a lot of love around here for Steve…but just not much in Monktown.
And w/ the hiring of PamelaAnderson as Steve’s marketing director…I expect the buzz to start picking up!!! [snort.gif]
But both Jim & Bob just don’t get much buzz around here. Maybe Pamela should work for them, too.
Tom

Chris,
Hard to say about those two '01’s. Given reasonably decent storage, they should still be holding their own.
They were originally released at $28, so those are terrific prices. They just might not have as much of that
zesty/spicy raspberry character in them that I like in those wines. But they have great balance, so they should still
be in good shape…so I’d gamble on them.

Coming on strong: Sojourn.
Ed Kurtzman’s label: Sandler Wine Co

Established wineries that don’t get the attention they deserve:
Clos Pepe
Freeman
Inman Family
Testarossa

33rd Street Cellars… A wine from John Fones (protege of Ed Kurtzman). No releases/no mailing list; just watch for the name early next year and get on the list.

Dry Creek Vyds Zinfandel, Kenwood Resv Pinot & Cab & Jack London Merlot, Artesa Chard & Pinot, Preston Zin, Raymond Cabs, Benessari Sangiovese, Audelssa Rhone-blends, Alexander Valley Vyds (most everything), St Francis Merlot & Zins …

My list:
Audelssa
Elyse
Match
Frank Family
Juslyn
Neal
Freeman
Small Vines

Altamura

Heitz

Chateau Souverain

Arrowood

Terre Rouge

Foppiano

I think as a whole the Dry Creek Valley is really underrated -

Dry Creek Vineyards and Preston are two of my long running favorite wineries -

And another name out of Dry Creek Valley that has been around forever and the bulk of their wines sell for under $15 and have been shockingly consistent over the years -

PEDRONCELLI VINEYARDS

Their Zins and Cabernets have been remarkable over the years considering their price tags - and few wines in California age as well as Pedroncelli’s offerings - Their Cabernets are superb at 20 years of age and you can still find them for $12-$13 on sale for current releases -

Another Preston fan here. Their Northern-Rhone blend (“Madam Preston”) is a favorite at my house.

Tablas Creek;
They are making the best wines they have ever produced (vineyards maturating maybe), The quantity of varieties is almost overwhelming Classic Châteauneuf du Pape style red and white wines plus Counoise, Viognier, Vermentino, Tannat, Picpoul Blanc, a Chardonnay and three true Vin de Paille dessert wines.
They set up a nursery imported and propagated a lot California’s vines, “Producers who have planted Tablas Creek clonal material include Ridge, Qupé, Bonny Doon, Beckmen, Andrew Murray, Zaca Mesa, L’Aventure, Garretson, and Justin”.
They are a partnership with one of the most well known French wines Château de Beaucastel (the second most widely owned producer on CT). And to top that of they are affordable.

Great subject!

I’ll go +1 on these:
Seghesio
Tablas Creek

and add…
Dashe for Sonoma Zin
Ravenswood (there, I said it)
MacRostie Wildcat Mountain Syrah

Larry,
Have you had Mike’s l’Infant Terrible Zins?? And???
Tom

They can’t be non-buzz wineries if you recommend them!

Good call on Arrowood. I’ve had a few Saralee’s Vineyard syrahs of theirs with 8-10 years of age and they have turned out quite nicely.

In north to south order:

Heitz
Far Niente
Tablas Creek
Tensley

Here, here! I popped the lone bottle of 2003 Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc that I owned about a month or so ago, and it was just stunning. For whatever reason, I fell out of their wine club, which I really must do something about.

Hi Tom, I have not had that one. I take it from your response… you don’t care for it?

For some reason I group Far Niente in the same camp as Silver Oak. They certainly have their audience outside geek circles such as ours. The buzz is there.