North Carolina (maybe South, too) beach rental reccs?

No

Bless your little heart for trying though! champagne.gif

Well I’ll be!

To be honest, I thought it was pretty good. I could almost channel Neal saying things like “that there Shaka Smart feller” and “whoo-doggee, we done lost to Duke again” when I read it.

Enjoy the trip :wink:

Piggybacking on this thread. Isn’t North Carolina very BYO friendly? We’re headed to the mountains there around July 4th and I’ll bring wine if so.

100% pork. Piedmont and Western NC is often called Lexington Q, pulled pork with a sauce of ketchup, vinegar, and pepper. Eastern NC is whole hog with vinegar and pepper based sauce and if there is anything red is your mop you are asking for trouble. If you look hard enough, you can occasionally find TX or TN BBQ here or there, in the same way you can find incest or other horrific sins in the best of families.

If only Robert would speak up here. There are a number of threads where he waxes eloquent on the right places to get Q

Todd,

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to the Carolinas in the summer? On the beach is nice, but if you go a half mile inland, it’s a different climate. Your mother-in-law is used to the summer humidity being from Hickory. If you aren’t used to high temps and high humidity, stay on the beach.

Neal, are you being humorous or did you misread my post? I was talking about corkage/BYO, not BBQ.

Regardless, your post is helpful for me to start looking around for places. :slight_smile:

No sir - happy to stay by the beach, as we rented a beach house!

LOL, I am being an idiot. Read too fast on the phone.

We rarely eat out at the beach, but the good restaurants on the O Banks welcome bYO

No one has mentioned there is basically one road in and out to the outer banks. Huge backups in the summer. We have a place in Rehoboth and I think their plan to keep the outlets and major shopping out of downtown has worked. Tax free shopping and excellent restaurants-something not found in the OB. Also a fun boardwalk.

No worries! I found it humorous and assumed as much, but I wanted to check. And, you got me thinking about the BBQ possibilities. We’ll be far inland in the mountains around Highlands. I just wanted confirmation on the BYO legalities before I packed wine and thought I would chime in on this thread.

I read it as porkage [snort.gif] [wink.gif]

Any reccs for restaurants in/near Carolina Beach?? We’re leaving Saturday…

I worked in the Wilmington area the latter half of 2001 and I ate at a fresh seafood restaurant in Carolina Beach about the same time. I can’t recall the name and I was unable to recognize anything from my google maps search of the area. It was decent. The better restaurants are in Wilmington, but I’m sure that you are aware of that. Have a great trip.

One of these?

Surf House
Deck House
Cape Fear Boil Company

Sorry Todd, it’s been too long ago. I was actually at Carolina Beach in May/June of 2000 (I remember watching Game 1 or 2 of the NBA Finals that Friday night from a bar in Wilmington, Lakers versus Pacers) for a deep sea fishing weekend with my office manager at the time and some other co-workers. We actually stayed in Wilmington, but departed from one of the docks near Carolina Beach. After a long Saturday (up at 4 AM) and fishing in the Gulf Stream, I was worn out. The office manager invited everyone to dinner at the seafood restaurant. The office manager spent several weekends in the area, so surely this was the best place. One fellow declined, but I joined the group. I think that the restaurant was off the main drag heading into Carolina Beach. It was pretty nondescript with Shoney type booths. I recall that the tap water was terrible (not surprising), so I drank beer, but the seafood was good. Probably $15 for a plate full of shrimp or something along those lines. Perhaps 20 years later the place doesn’t exist anymore. Most of the fresh seafood joints on the Carolina coast are like dive bars with very simple dining accommodations. I’m thinking like the Wreck of the Richard and Charlene in Mt. Pleasant or Bowens Island heading into Folly Beach. And yes, there are exceptions. The Boathouse on Isle of Palms is a nice place. Anyway, I’m sure that the fresh seafood will be nice wherever.

Surely, there is someone on the board with more recent Wilmington and Carolina Beach experiences. I hardly recognized anything on Front Street or Market Street in Wilmington. FireBellys appears to be gone. No Water Street Cafe. Elijah’s is still there. There was a chef on a recent season of Top Chef with James Beard nominations with a place in Wilmington. First name is Keith, but I can’t recall the last name.

I’m sure that things have changed greatly, but I look forward to your impressions of the area.

Keith Rhodes, http://catchwilmington.com/. Strip mall ambience, excellent seafood, decent wine there even. He has a similar affinity to Vietnam as Anthony Bourdain and used to run a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese joint in downtown Wilmington at the same time that was as good as most in OC.