Northern Rhone Tour: Clusel-Roch, Jamet, Perret, Gonon, Sorrel, Cave de Tain, Clape, Allemand

Great post and pics, Alan! I was over there at the same time and may try to post about my visits, but it wasn’t quite as spectacular as yours…

Regarding the new vineyard development in Cote Rotie by Guigal, Chapoutuer, etc, I believe many if not all of Chapoutier’s vineyards are certified biodynamic. Not invalidating any concerns about erosion etc, but seems like they’d be developing new vineyards in the same manner farming-wise.

1 Like

That wine glass decanter is very intriguing. Very cool. Sadly I only own 4 bottles of Jamet. All from 2005, all needing much more time. Looks like a great time and to have JLL as a guide! [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Alan, looks like great fun. I did a double take on seeing the picture of the '14 Graillot Crozes-Hermitage. We just finished a bottle of the '13 and it’s on the desk in front of me patiently waiting for me to write up a TN!

I’ve never really heard the story, but why did the brothers break up?

We were told that Jean-Paul was frustrated with Jean-Luc’s management of the vineyards. Now Jean-Paul (along with his son) manage their own vineyards.

Alan, thank you very much for the time to post all of this. I really appreciate it.

Jill and I plan to be in France during the summer, and I wanted some advice about the Ampuis area. Is it common for the Jamet family to do an appointment? We plan to stay there for a few days and I would like to visit if that is something that they do.

Dig seeing Bradley and Paul in the photos, too.

Brian Tuite wrote:
The trip was over last week. FYI.

Posting around 6AM will do that sometimes. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, don’t let Brian push you around :wink: He only knows this because I made a few FB posts in real time. But heading out at 8am and returning from dinner after midnight every day was not conducive to doing these posts here in real time [swoon.gif]

Terrific!

Any thoughts about the Gripa and Coulet?

We had several Gripa wines over the course of the week. I didn’t note anything spectacular, but remember them being very nice wines. I’ve had some Coulet wines before, here at home, and always found them to be quite good. If it’s on our table, then most likely John picked it out, and it’s a quality wine.

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]

Frank

Not sure if Alan responded via email/IM but Jean-Paul is not comfortable speaking English so has been a hard visit to secure for a non-Francophone. With the next generation (Loic speaks good English) becoming involved, that may change. Give them a try.

Nice notes, thanks for the write-up.
I would just say that the Jamet Côte Rôtie 2007 is not an earlier drinker to me, at least last year it still needed time.

Also, I didn’t know that Jamet was doing a Condrieu. Is this a new offering from the domaine?
I love what they do with the Côtes du Rhône blanc, so Condrieu sounds like a treat!

Alain

I don’t know if it’s common, but we’ve done a private visit-appointment.

1 Like

Alain, I’ve never see one either. Wine Searcher doesn’t turn anything up in any vintage, around the world, for the past 4 years. So maybe it’s a new project? Or something they only deliver to restaurants or private customers? There was definitely more there than they could consume themselves, so if it’s new, maybe we’ll see it at some point.

1 Like

I believe that it is the first (or possibly second) year. I suspect Jean-Paul picked up a fruit source after the split with Jean-Luc.

Day 2: Andre Perret

Tuesday morning we made the 45 minute drive north to Chavanay to visit with Andre Perret, who produces wine from vineyards owned in Condrieu and plots of Saint Joseph in Chavanay.

These photos were taken above Chavanay, in Andre’s St. Joseph Les Rivoires vineyards. If my memory is correct, there are a mix of Syrah and Marsanne/Roussanne plots on this hill.

John, Adam, Andre Perret

Possible to get a small tractor into parts of the vineyards, but a lot of work has to be done by hand.

Trying to convey the steepness and terraces of these vineyards. The overcast gray skies make getting contrast a little difficult.

Replanting a new vineyard section

One cool - and very fit - vineyard dog

Adam scrambling up the steep trails between vineyard terraces. Working these hills will keep you in shape

This exposed face shows the underlying decomposing granite, and also how far vine roots can grow, at least 6-8 feet for this one

I like how this shot shows how closely civilization is wedged tightly between the vineyard hills to the west, and the Rhone river on the east. This is typical up and down the entire region, from Ampuis and Cote Rotie at the north, through the long archipelago of Saint Joseph vineyards, down to Cornas in the south. Hermitage is the exception, on the other side of the river, as well as Crozes Hermitage.

As you can see from this really nice map I tried to capture, put together by the Cave de Tain Cooperative:

And the daily group picture, left to right: Angela, Jason, Humble Scribe, Adam, Paul, Jackie, Matt, Bradley, John, Andre

Andre Perret is a producer I had no experience with prior to this visit. I enjoyed this visit very much, and recommend the Domaine to potential visitors.

We went through some 2015 barrels, mostly whites. The 2015s do show the warmth of the vintage, on the riper, lush side.

I really liked the 2014 Saint Joseph Blanc, a blend of 50/50 Marsanne/Roussane, with beautiful medium rich fruit, granite minerality, spicy, waxy, slightly oily finish, really lovely wine. Its 2013 version shows a bit more tropical and lush, with good minerality.

2014 Condrieu Chanson is just delicious, with nice spice, and impeccable balance.
2014 Condrieu Chery slightly more lush, plump, with good minerality.

At the end of the week, for our Friday lunch, a bottle of the 2010 Chery was fabulous.

Stay tuned for more…

I feel like each day would deserve its own thread…

You were really lucky to meet André Perret, he doesn’t get a ton of press but his wines are always top-notch. His St Joseph (red) Les Grisières in particular is awesome (but rare). He’s my go-to producer in Condrieu.

Amazing pictures and trip report. Wonderful to see Perret getting some mention - Marc Hanes introduced his wines to our group perhaps 15+ years ago.

When I see those vineyards and the rocky soils, I understand the reason for the prices better. At least fortunately for the drinker of these, Northern Rhones have largely escaped the fervor around the cult cabs, and first growths.

wut