Northwest Florida: Tasting groups, storage, restaurants, wine shops?

In the past (2012), when Michel Thibault was working there, I picked up Ramonet, Roumier, and DRC at very pair prices from the Chan’s in Destin. They had, in addition to the trophies, a smartly chosen pretty broad European selection, at least French. German was pretty good and Italian as well. I did not look much at the domestic stuff, but did see some Kutch there. That was quite a surprise when just walking in to a random wine store just looking to find something drinkable. I have no idea what they have nowadays.

Very cool - any local tasting groups or anything? We’ll be in Origins for ~2 years while we build our “forever” (or “at least for a while”) home in Churchill Oaks on the bay.

Don’t know of any groups. Covid has kept that quiet. maybe we can connect and open a bottle or 2.

Yep. This is usually still the case the past few years. When I visited in July there was a decent amount of Ramonet, H. Boillot, and some Lamy. Others, too, but those stood out. As well as some nuggets like back vintage Baumard that I cleaned up on. And an ok Italian section.

Which store is this?

https://destin.chanswineworld.com/destin-florida-32541

Was at Watercolor Wine world last night. Great dinner, but not a great wine selection. Pretty overpriced, nothing of note.

My associate that lives in Destin just confirmed, Chan’s is solid from her vantage, and she’s a wine fan.

1 Like

Funny - almost ate there earlier this week when we were in town to look at houses … ended up doing takeout from Perfect Pig. We ate at Wine World a good bit when we were “living” down there for 3-4 months during Quarantine 1.0 earlier this year. As you say, wine selections underwhelming, but pretty cool for a wine bar to allow corkage, so problem solved relatively easily. Cheese boards are pretty good, though…

The Publix has greatly expanded its wine selection. Will be serviceable

Which one?

publix at watercolor