NY City 9/14 or 9/15?

Thank you Jay. Looking forward to it.

I am coming along with my son (23) Ryan.

Hi All, I’m still in. My two cents: I prefer Wu’s Wonton King or PDH but am willing to go Utsav. I’m not a fan of Indian but can find something on the menu Jay provided. (Can I please choose my entree if we have a large group and put together a pre-fix with them?) Really looking forward and grateful to be part of an offline. -Tom

So, Jay, anything in particular you want to drink on your birthday? CA, France, Ohio? I have found the Syrah goes well with Indian food.

1 Like

Don’t go changing your venue on account of me but I share Tom’s sentiments precisely. Not a fan of Indian food, but at least the restaurant is a half mile from GCT and there are a few things I can eat that I like.

Jay authored another thread asking/pleading for folks to step up and create their own offline. With all due respect to those that had comments above, stop complaining; and post your own offline.

As far as I can tell, that thread has nothing to do with this thread.

1 Like

Well, if this is the thread, how about an update for confirmed venue, date and time?

It’s going to be Indian food. It’s going to be midtown Manhattan. It’s going to start relatively early for an offline - 5:30 or 6 pm depending upon the restaurant. I’m still waiting to see if we can do it at Utsav, which is my first choice.

Looking forward to it. Also, Lyle Fass will be joining us.

But he drinks low ABV white wine??

So, assuming we are under 10 or 12 people (which it looks like) so 750’s, for wines, I am thinking the following:

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme (It’s Jay’s Birthday)
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah The Duel (I am coming out for Browns vs. Jets)
2009 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage (so Lyle has something he can drink)

Plus, they should all work with Indian food.

I am still in. Is there any update as to which of the two Indian restaurants has been chosen and a start time ? The event is just a week away. Also any info on corkage fee ?

Any update on this Jay?

IGNORE THIS POST - They want $45 corkage!! See two posts below.

I’m going to go with Amma, which is 246 East 51st Street, south side between Second and Third Avenues, but I have to talk to them about corkage. The owner wasn’t there when I stopped in on Friday. The room is small but we are not going to have a huge group. There has been turnover at Utsav and the people I dealt with are no longer there and thus I have been unable to make a good deal on corkage.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Restaurants in NY suck. The food at Amma is great. They have a delusional view of their wine list and thus their corkage is too high. I am going to switch back to Utsav and rely on my negotiating skills because I don’t want to think about it any more and they have good choices all around. We will just order off the menu so everyone will be relatively happy - the lamb chops are a winner for the meat-a-tarians and it is a big nicer room that will give us a lot of space and I have eaten their a dozen times so I know they are good.

My plan is to start at 5:30 since it is a Sunday, but if people are a bit late, we’ll save you wine.

If you are coming, please post “ME” and your wine if you want, but posting wine is optional. I’m going to bring a 2006 Pol Roger Churchill because it is my birthday and some ridiculous red wine because Loren likes that stuff even though I hate it. neener I think I may bring a 2013 Schrader because I ended up with extra when the guy who said he wanted to share my allocation chickened out, but I’m not sure I can get to it in my cellar without a lot of work. If not, maybe a red SQN.

Loren Sonkin and Ryan Sonkin (I will confirm with Lyle)

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 167eme (It’s Jay’s Birthday)
2008 Sine Qua Non Syrah The Duel (I am coming out for Browns vs. Jets)
2012 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage (so Lyle has something he can drink)

1 Like

‘ME’ sorry I don’t know what that means. I’m in for Sunday, thanks Jay. More later. Tom

I am still in. “ME”
I will bring a 2011 Allemand Cornas Chaillot. Also bringing a 2nd wine tbd determined that will likely be a white burgundy.

I’ll see if I can bring something suitable for the palate of a yak