NYC Area Baked Goods - list your favorites

I’d add Petite Shell in the UES for Babka and add them to a Rugelach category too. Amazing coffee too!

Entirely appropriate as this is meant to be a resource for people seeking out particular baked goods. And that is one particular baked good that I like and have a hard time finding good examples of.

Being in Chicago, what I miss from NYC are good hard rolls … pastry options, good breads, even decent thought not brilliant bagels are found easily but hard rolls are virtually unknown. (Whole Foods has them sometimes but they are not right)

I went soon after they opened/changed branding (I live nearby) and was very disappointed in the ruggies. But they still might have been fine-tuning. I’ll have to check back in.

There’s place in Chelsea Market that makes decent rugelach. The worst rugelach I’ve had in the last decade came from Citarella.

Has anyone tried Moishe’s Bakery on 2nd Avenue just south of 8th St.? Every time I pass by it I’m going away shortly afterwards so I don’t stop in to buy anything. Yelp likes their challah and hamentaschen but that doesn’t mean much.

are they parve? if so, that’s a non-starter.

I think its also flavor dependent. I’ve been consistently impressed with the dark chocolate/nutella ones (at least since I’ve been going), but the other sweet ones aren’t as good. I was actually most surprised by the savory ones and have enjoyed a number of those varieties.

Are they for sale at retail anywhere other than at the bakery? A trip to Rockand Bakery was always a special treat when I was growing up.

Dessert Pie: Sour Cream Apple Walnut Pie from Little Pie Co.

Baguette: Tom Cat Bakery – great fresh, right amount of French crustiness, but doesn’t last long (available at some Supermarket and at Murray’s Cheese Shops)

It’s amazing how much better that is than anything else they sell. Are they still on 43rd St.? I’ve lost track of them since I moved out of Manhattan.

They were in Rockland County, at least a few years ago.

Yup, parve. I live nearby and stop in once a year for office hamantaschen, but that’s it.

kinda got lost in the “fad” talk above so figured i’d repost for any advice

I’ve never had one but apparently there’s a bakery on 1st avenue between 109 and 110 that specializes in it - La Tropezienne Bakery

http://www.twobakeriesandarestaurant.com/Two_Bakeries_and_a_Restaurant/La_Tropezienne_Bakery_Selections.html

sounds like a good starting point, thanks
i recall finding that place a few years ago and after many unanswered phone calls i gave up
i’ll try walking in this time

You’ve sold me - I’ll give them a try in the next couple of days.

Yes, still there.

Zabar’s - Apple or regular crumb cake by the piece.

E.A.T. - Walnut raisin pumpernickel bread.

Orwashers - Black and white cookie.

Hungarian Pastry Shop - Strudel (assorted) on Amsterdam and 111th street.

Moishe’s Bakery (Kosher). 2nd Ave and East 7th street. Just about anything they sell.

Donuts - Dunkin neener I dislike the yeast donuts that are sold in NYC.

Your votes are hereby disqualified.

Good to hear about Moishe’s. I only remember them once a year on Christmas Eve when I meet Arnold at the church across the street and I’m waiting for him to show up. But we’re often nearby having ramen at Misoya. Unfortunately I don’t have an anything category, care to be more specific?