NYC for my 40th

Jungsik is great. We did a nice BYO with four people a few weeks back. Highly recommend. Food is fantastic and service is impeccable.

1 Like

Can’t say enough good things about Jungsik. Impecable is truly the only appropriate descriptor for the service there. What’s the corkage fee there?

I’m not sure. One of our foursome handled the corkage.

No worries. They have a good list, so finding something had never been an issue. Just good to know they allow corkage. I’ll just call and inquire next time I’m set to dine there.

1 Like

What kind of wine do you recommend for BYOB to complement the food at Jungsik?

General disclaimer: I am not a big pairing person. I generally find great food plus any great wine basically works. Yes, each experience will be different, but I just prefer to drink what I enjoy.

Ok with that out of the way, I find Champagne, white/red Burgundy and Rhone wines all work well. We’ve done this menu with all of the above and it was delicious (I think I posted notes from the last time I went).

Jungsik is a great recommendation - have enjoyed some really great meals there. Something else to consider is Batard on West Broadway - while the opening chef Markus has left, the new chef Doug is from Cafe Boulud, which was also very good, and sadly gone. I’ve had two amazing meals there in the last month. What’s great about there is that they have a very deep wine list, especially white burgundies. They’ve had a Michelin star for a couple of years - and was a James Beard winner to boot.

2 Likes

Super bummed Cafe Boulud closed. Many memories of dining there for close to 20 years. Batard is also great. That was my last pre lockdown meal to celebrate my sister’s birthday in March. They used to have free corkage one day a week (forget which day), unsure if that practice continues now.

I’ve also always enjoyed experiences at Craft.

Tommy Tardie owns both The Flatiron Room and Fine & Rare. Both are great for cocktails, whiskey pours, and live jazz.
The Brandy Library is my next choice. It’s downtown, no regular music, but also a comfy place for cocktails or pours.

1 Like

I usually do Champagne and/or Riesling and maybe red Burgundy.

Last time I did BYO I think the corkage was $50? But that was a while ago so my memory is faint and may have changed post-covid anyway. As others have said, the wine list is great.

Another big fan of Jungsik. I love riesling with their food. And they have a number of very good, fairly priced bottles on their list.

Also one of the few places with a lot of half bottles.

So we are leaning towards Jungsik for my 40th, but it just dawned on me that my b-day is a travel day and being that it is December in NYC, there is always a chance at snow/weather-related delay. Anyone know how these prepaid dinner reservations work under such extenuating circumstances? Would I be SOL if a snowstorm caused my flight to be late and I wasn’t able to make my prepaid dinner reservation?

Under most circumstances, some advance notice of the delay would almost certainly be required. But I reckon that if you call up a high end place like Jungsik and inform them of the delay, they would try their best to reschedule your reservation for another time or date if possible. Unsure about whether they’d extend a refund though, especially if notice is given after the reservation. It’s going to really depends on the individual judgement of the person you’re talking with.

I ran into a similar issue dining at Blue Hill at Stone Barns in March right before Covid - there was a storm that precluded me coming up- they would not refund- but they did say that they would change my reservation to anytime that was convenient to me in the future.