Offlines: how well do you know everyone before you go to your first?

We rookies! [rofl.gif] champagne.gif

A few brief posts here and there is plenty for me. Actually sitting down for a meal and drink is a much better venue for getting to know people.

I have meet some pretty good friends via offlines. You do not need to know anyone prior. If anything bring a pad and pen to take tasting notes and jot down the names of people in order of their seating at table so you can place names to faces and wines after the event. Stay within the theme and price range for the wines you bring (my first off line was no theme just bring a bottle that dont suck so I brought a first growth with me. Although I and the group enjoyed it I inadvertently made a few attendees (myself included) a tad uncomfortable. Never had a bad experience in over 10 years of offlines. Have a LOT of stories but no bad experiences.

Just like everyone is saying, these are great. Wine people have a bond and tend to be friendly. I started going to offlines through the Squires board in 2004. I didn’t know anyone, except through the board. Many of those folks are good friends to this day.

I would definitely heed Barry’s advice about planning your safe return home. People do tend to consume more than they think they will. I would also say try to bring the best bottle you can that fits the theme, but still don’t be too invested in your own wine. You never know how it will show that night.

A couple of quick stories: I bring a Barolo that really shows well. The guy sitting next to me (not knowing it is mine) says how much he loves the wine. I ask, “So you like Nebbiolo?” He smiles and says, “My dog is named Barolo.” We’ve been friends every since.

Back in those days, Squires was not a real names board. I used “Tannin Head” as my name. I had a corn stalk as my avatar. At one point, I made a stupid joke. Jamie Kutch looked at me, then slowly said, “You’re the corn stalk, aren’t you.” :wink:

The random travel off-lines are also a fun way to meet board members face to face. Have done several of these that allowed me to drink some great wines while on the road and put faces to names.

I’m am someone who can be uncomfortable meeting new people but I went to my first offline back in 1999? organized on Robin Garr’s board and I never looked back. I had never met any of them in person before but I’ve met so many fun, wonderful, interesting and generous people over the years. And the great thing is that you have a ready made topic of conversation.

I’ve met up with Berserkers in the DFW area three times, each time with a new group. All wonderful experiences. Twice on my turf (Grailey’s) and once at a guy’s house. My wife made me text her to ensure I wasn’t getting raped by a creeper. I wasn’t. I was being treated to a wonderful dinner with wonderful people over great wines. We all opened things of similar quality. Jeb, AlexO, Michael Francis, and others have all been great, generous, and fun.

Just for our info, which one did she think was the creeper?

Ha, that’s every axe murderer’s standard line.

Would love to do offlines but I live in the southwest hinterlands so not likely to happen.

It is VERY difficult NOT to have a good time at an offline. Keep and open mind, know that everyone has their own tastes which may differ from yours, and don’t get ‘married’ to your own wine. Sometimes your wine will be good, others not.

It was that obvious, Alan?

He wrote “My wife made me text her to ensure I wasn’t getting raped by a creeper.” Note “a creeper”. So I think we can assume that there were multiple creepers there. The real question is how many wanted to rape K John?

Having dinner with me is a guaranteed good time. LA rookies don’t be scared! Come join me for dinner!! Berserkerfest SOCAL: Chinese food and wine in the San Gabriel Valley JULY 29 (MENU UPDATE) - Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers

stahp it flirtysmile

betty - come and join us if you are free. FINAL UPDATE: San Francisco - Friday 6/30 @ 7pm - Please see post #41 - Event Planner - Online or Offline - WineBerserkers
a rock star winemaker and his lovely wife will also be attending.

[cheers.gif]

I had never met anyone at a couple of my earliest offlines, and in one case didn’t really even know anyone from online. I had a fantastic time at both events and would (hopefully will) do the same thing again.

I’ve been to a few as a rookie, people were incredibly welcoming and friendly. As we haven’t been at this for very long it felt a little intimidating at first and calibrating what to bring (or what to buy specifically to bring) can be nerve-racking at first but I think I’m getting the hang of it and have only ever had good times. I read a comment from Sarah K a while back about tastings and meetups that really helped frame it for me. Badly paraphrased it came down to that it is worthwhile to participate and be generous, you’ll always get back multiple times what you contribute and learn a ton.

Probably all of them considering my good looks and tight buns.

It says so in truck stop bathrooms all over Cali!

Thanks for the invite! I’ll check out that other thread.