Offsite Wine Storage

If you pay annually (upfront), Domaine DC comes up to about 3.1$ per case per month.

I pay $20 for ~15 cases. I could probably fit 3 more cases in there but then 6 cases in the far corner would not be accessible without taking out some cases. (It is a corner unit on the top floor so probably one of the least desirable ones.)

This is at one of those public storage places that has a dedicated wine storage section with their own HVAC/Humidity and access control.

Don’t know if you have chosen a place yet, but do not use Vinum55…

Vinum 55 placed someone’s allocation in my locker, and when i tried to give it back they acted like I should just keep it. I promptly moved on from using them to store my wine. Much happier at Wine Vault and 24/hour access. The owner Deborah is awesome.

Have you left a sensor there to monitor temp/humidity? Places that do more than wine storage scare me

Interesting. That doesn’t sound at ALL like any experience I’ve had with Vinum, and I’ve stored wine with them since they first opened in Phx. As Jim mentioned, their service is second to none, and they have (had) great events that are basically worh the cost of storing there alone.

Sorry you had an issue but that’s honestly the only complaint I’ve ever heard about Vinum 55.

Just wanted to say that I strongly disagree with this. As I mentioned above, Vinum 55 is awesome. Other members on this board happily store there as well if you need additional references.

Glad you had a great experience with them. I am at Wine Vault now with 24/hour access to my wine regardless of operating hours. Same level of service, minus the folks trying to sell me something 3x per week. Vinum55 cares more about the “lifestyle” of wine than storing wine. The amount of staff turnover should be some level of indication.

Nice man. Glad you’re enjoying Wine Vault (such a tough location to access though, right??)

I’ve gotta ask though, did it really bother you that they send out wine offers to their members? Pretty easy to just not buy if you’re not interested. Plus the upside there is that the peeps at Vinum have helped me secure some VERY hard to find wines at prices that you just couldn’t get anywhere else. Not to mention helping me pack/ship wine out that I was selling at cost with zero service fees. Just a top notch operation all around, that definitley cares about how your wine is stored, in addition to providing additional added-value ‘wine lifestyle’ services. Win/Win [cheers.gif]

No but everytime I swing by there’s a hygro/temp gauge on the door and it all seems inline. Shrug

The moral of that story is never give access to your locker to the storage facility. I’m at East Bank Storage in Chicago and they have a holding area where they store stuff I have sent straight to them. Then I get it from them and move it myself.

1 Like

I’m at East Bank in Chicago too - very highly recommended for affordable storage in Chicago. John, I think it was your post in another thread that prompted me to look into East Bank, thanks!

1 Like

Now that I’m moving to Florida, I’m considering moving on from Domaine due to high cost and mediocre (at best) customer service. Currently I use them because they’re 2 hours from my house in VA and are the closest “serious” wine storage facility. Do any dedicated wine storage facilities check all these boxes:

1. Accepts deliveries and inventories shipments
  2. Located within 1-2 days GROUND shipping of Napa/Sonoma to keep shipping costs down
  3. Located in a state/climate where there are at least 7-8 good “safe shipping” months from CA
  4. Located in a state that most producers/stores from can CA ship to (ie not Utah)
  5. Has better customer service & lower prices than Domaine

If I’m mostly doing consolidated shipments 1-2x per year to Florida, I basically need an intermediate storage location that will accept deliveries, inventory what arrives, then pack and ship to me once or twice a year.

AD - are there any old options for those of us in PHL? We’ll be looking for some offsite storage and running to north Jersey or NY is not an option.

I’m in Bucks County so bit the bullet and use Domaine up in Edison since it’s only about an hour away. No other real options that I’m aware of unfortunately which seems pretty consistent with others on this board

Thanks for letting me know.