OKLAHOMA BURGER

Quelle surprise.

Here is the history of this burger:

“The Oklahoma-style fried onion burger is a damn national treasure.”

Cheers,
Martin

We made these burgers this week. Excellent and so easy.

Yes, El Reno was one of the places I was thinking of. However, the fact it’s labeled the birth of onion burgers is a surprise.

We made them last night using lamb instead of beef. Really excellent. Though next time I need to let them cook a bit longer to crisp them up. It is a toss up between liking a burger medium raw (which I tend to prefer even more with lamb) and getting that nice crispy skin Thanks again Martin for posting this-- and all of your other recipes!

eating one as we speak made w Berserker blend Flannery. No diff than adding lightly caramelised onions to a burger. Don’t get it.

Have a look, this week in the NYTimes

Video: Oklahoma Onion Burgers Outdoors on the Grill | Kenji’s Cooking Show - YouTube

Blue cheese. Let me repeat, Blue cheese. Melt with the onions.

2 Likes

If you ever are randomly driving through the middle of the USA, the Cozy Inn in Salina, Kansas has one of the best burgers ever in this style. It doesn’t need cheese, and you are at first put off by the lack of French fries, but the burger is so good you don’t miss either. Pro-tip, order outside and don’t go inside unless you want to smell like 100 years of burger joint. Eat in your car, and you will probably smell like at least 10 years of burger joint. Probably best to never know how the magic happens, but there are some videos of the process. They use more of a chopped/diced onion than sliced.

Made these a week ago (Kenji’s method) and my family loved them. I was a bit surprised how much. Apart from the cheese & pickles, zero condiments added by all, which is an all-time 1st. They all said I need to make them again.