Old Beer & Spirits Results

Can beer age? Yep. We did a 2007-2015 (minus 2009) vertical of Deschuetes Abyss last night. The 2007 was slightly oxidized, but showing fantastic for an 8 year old beer. The 2008 was the beer of the night. The oak had mellowed, chocolate notes were coming to the forefront and no booziness from the 11%. It was interesting to taste the older beers against the newer ones and experience how the oakiness of the newer ones really strip the tongue in comparison.

So if you want to age beers, do it. Treat it like wine, but store them upright.

Robert, I have not yet seen any 2013. But I could go buy more of the 2012 from multiple local retailers right now. Weird.

As for it not getting much attention: I am very o.k. with that, as long as the lack of interest doesn’t cause it to no longer be imported!

Yes it does. Very much so. Especially the Blue. And for many years.

As far as your comment on Three Philosophers, it also ages very well. For my taste, it peaks about 4 years of age. Someone who works at the brewery said that for his tastes it peaks twice- age 4 and age 9. I haven’t really had them past age 5 or 6. So, I have a few from 2009 and I am waiting until they hit age 9 and give them another try to see if I agree.

That’s a sweet vertical Tom, thanks for sharing the results as I don’t think I’ve ever read one on Abyss.

Brian, good to know that the 13 maybe just isn’t in the market, I was thinking we just got skipped over as its been well over a year since I’ve bought any. I’ll have to inquire with someone.

I’ve had great results aging Speedway Stout variants.

Hmmm, interesting. Mine is 5, does that mean I should wait 4 more?

Presumably you mean if they are sealed with a crown and not corked and caged. All my Chimay is on its side.

I was able to taste the Abyss while in Portland back in January, it just happened to be release day. I picked a bottle of each, I would have liked more but I already had a bunch of wine to bring home.

No. Store all of your beer upright. Including ones that have cork and a cage. You store it just like champagne which should be stored upright as well.

Why is that? It has a cork like my wine, I always figured it needed to be stored laying down, I store my champagne the same. I would have room in my cellar if I stood of all.

I’m not sure why but I assume the higher pressure gives the air space high enough absolute humidity. Regardless, that is hiw they do it. I have seen Ommegangs long term aging cave and it is bottle up

Since I don’t have the storage space, I guess I will have to drink up.

but Cantillon lays their bottles on the side, so …

2012 Sierra Nevada Imperial Stout Narwhal - USA, California, Central Valley, Butte County (4/30/2016)
Strong mineral tones mixed with typical roastiness of a Stout. Probably a year too old, for my preferences.

NV Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Garde Biere de Mars - USA, Michigan (4/30/2016)
– bottled in February of 2014 –

This is on its downslope, for my preferences. Sourness is significantly toned-down from earlier in its life. Barrel influence, too, is hardly noticeable compared to in its youth. All that said, this is still a very nice beer, and I was happy to enjoy it at this point in its life.

Yes they do, and I just read yesterday that it is recommended to lay sours on their side. So, [scratch.gif]

Had Allagash Red and RR Supplication over the weekend. Both were bottled in 2012. Both were outstanding and nowhere near the end of life.

So, I decided to email the brewmaster at Ommegang, and here is his opinion:

“I don’t religiously taste cellared 3 Phils every year. That said I have had 8-9 year 3 Phils that drinks OK but not my favorite. I prefer it between 3-5 years.”

Probably just a matter of taste, but I opened it last night and it was quite delicious at age 5.

Thanks for some good info, Scott. At our verticle tasting of 3 Philosophers 4 year old was my favorite. I have a nice stash in the cellar with two 2009s being my oldest. I am going to open them in 2018 or later and see what I think about older ones.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

NV Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Garde Biere de Mars - USA, Michigan (5/6/2016)
– blend 1 –
– bottled 02/27/2013 –

This was much better than the bottle of 2014 I had last weekend. This presented with a nice, smooth tartness, and none of the aged/mineral characteristic of last week’s 2014. Lovely beer.