Old Beer & Spirits Results

2014 Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/24/2017)
Still has nice carbonation. Black color; fine-bubbled tan head. Obvious oatmeal creamy roasty flavor. The bourbon barrel ageing regimen is obvious on the Nose, but is just barely noticeable on the palate. A true lightweight at 8.5% abv., for a BBAS. I’m enjoying this more now than before — it still has that high acidity, but it’s somewhat tamed now. In a good spot. Drink now.

Last night I had another 2014 Cease & Desist, aged in Bordeaux barrels. I am off and on with these, sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I do not. I do not think it is bottle variation, just my mood.

2013 and 2014 Black Tuesdays were damn good.

2013 Russian River sours (Supplication, Beatification, Consecration, Temptation) were faded and disappointing.

2013 Remy’s Pappy was an oxidized mess :frowning:

All bottles were all purchased upon release by a friend, stored in a 55 degree cellar.

recently had a 2014 RRBC “Supplication” that was good but on its downslope. Sweet spot for RRBC sours seems to be 1 - 2 years old.

I’m in big trouble then. I have a mixed case that goes back to the bottling codes, before the dating years.

You should crack into that case, Joe. YMMV, but what if it doesn’t? …

2015 Alesmith Brewing Speedway Stout - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (1/28/2018)
– 750mL under crown cap –
– 01/15/15 bottling –

Sweet chocolate and mild-medium coffee on the Nose. Dense brown/black color. Hard pour required to achieve any head. Man-oh-man has this aged well! Bitter coffee notes mixed with dark chocolate; very smooth; the bottle age has brought forth some pleasant sweet tones, but this isn’t yet old enough to be at that stage where liver/iron notes are present (and I’m quite okay with that). Superb. Terribly underrated brew. 10/10.

Agree 100% Most of the coffee stouts are produced seasonally, but this one is available year round and remarkably consistent. Love it.

A couple of weeks ago I opened a 2010 and 2017 Bells Expedition Stout. Both were fantastic but the 2010 was much more balanced and the bitterness of the coffee has faded

Not so odd that 2010 had no coffee flavors but that the 17 did?

Yes, at least in my opinion. Why do you feel that it is odd? I will have to open another ‘17 this weekend for more research.

Well it’s not a coffee stout is it? Not that you couldn’t pick up those flavors of course and I’m assuming that’s what you meant. I went to the Bells website, but all I learned was that a bottle has 375 calories, wow. I really like Expedition and have some going back to 2012 in the cellar that I plan to let go a long time.

From my experience, coffee stouts lose a lot of their bitterness/coffee flavor after the first year or two. I’ve never gone more than 3 years, but most of the ones I’ve had (and I’ve had a ton) are really coffee-forward in year one, drop off a cliff in year two and have most of the coffee notes completely fading out by year three.

That said, man I miss my coffee stouts. I packed back a couple of Fremont KDS’s in Nov, but they’re long gone. Cool thing is that I have a stash in the Bay Area that I’ll eventually be able to drain and post notes here on :smiley:

That’s an interesting observation. I often dislike coffee stouts (not all) because the coffee bitterness tastes like coffee grounds to me. I always assumed that it was over-extracted in some way, because there are many examples where I don’t find this. For instance, I have never cared for the Founders coffee stouts, despised the Ballast Point coffee beers (just kind of hate BP anyway though), and there are several others that I feel the same about but can’t think of at the moment. On the other hand, I really enjoy all of Side Project’s coffee beers, 2nd shift, Perennial’s offerings, and Prairie. Maybe I should try the ones I’ve disliked after more age. I’d worry though that the nuances of the coffee fade over time too.

2014 Victory Brewing Company Storm King Imperial Stout - USA, Pennsylvania (6/2/2018)
– crown-capped 330mL –
– BB: April 15, 2019 –

NOSE: sweet, aged/quadruple type Nose; almost has a whiskey-type influence, too, despite this not being a BBAS.

BODY: still good carbonation; dark brown-black color; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: clearly aged, but not too much; strong mineral aspect, but still has some nice roastiness to it. Starting to thin-out somewhat. Hides its 9.1% abv. very well. Very pleasant experience.

2014 Port Brewing Santa’s Little Helper - Bourbon Barrel Aged - USA, California, South Coast, San Diego County (6/10/2018)
In the perfect spot, for my preferences. Still significant roastiness, but that aged sweetness is now present, as well. Hides its alcohol very well.

So earlier this week I went into my local and tucked away in the corner by the stock room is a little sign that says “Lost and Found: Aged Jolly Pumpkin”. Apparently the distributor bought a pallet or two a couple of years back and has struggled to move them. My local took them at a steep discount. Anyway, I was able to walk away with six 12x750ml cases for a total of $180 + tax.

• Bam Biere (2014)
  • Weizen Bam (2016)
  • Madrugada Obscura (2015)
  • Luciernaga (2015)
  • Io Saison (2015)
  • Fuego Del Otono (2016)

I opened a Bam and Luciernaga yesterday with lunch. Both were in great shape. The Luciernaga was explosive when opened but once that settled down it was a light gold, slightly hazy, light, sour and gently spiced. It was a perfect palate cleanser.

The Bam was also very good although a little blander next to the Luciernaga. It did have the advantage of not exploding when opened. Again a little sour and light, tons of sediment. Could probably drink several of these in a session.

If storing, should they be kept in a refrigerator, or just a cool, dark place like wine?

Cool and dark has worked fine for me. Dark being perhaps even more important than with wine.

My best experience has been treating them just like wine.