Old Forester Bourbon: how is the whole lineup?

How about the OF 1870 Original Batch?

All of them are worth trying, they are all different profiles, so you get to choose the one you like. Obviously a lot of value and preference for 1920, might be due to proof since Original is 90, 1897 is 100 and 1920 is 115, so the relative upcharge of $15 for 25 more proof generally makes the difference for consumers.

Personally I’d buy 1920 which has richness, depth and fruit, then 1897 as it has best balance IMO, then 1870 as it is more a blending exercise from warehouse lots.

I tried the 1870 last night. Completely different profile from the 1920. Like they are from different planets.

Had a dram of the OF 1910 last night. Labeled as a whisky it is doubled barrel aged. Nice enough but a little too candied, polished/soft and lacks depth. 93 proof. 1920 still is the best of the lineup for me.

Seems like the goal of distinctly different whiskies is working thru this series for Old Fo.

Agreed, and as I said above 1920 is easily my favorite.

1920 is the best readily available high proof bourbon, period. The others in the lineup are good at their price points. If you can find a store pick of the new Single Barrel Barrel Proof released this year, it is fantastic, even better than the OF Birthday Bourbon, IMO.

Scored a bottle of the extremely limited single barrel OF cask strength today. 130.5 proof! Should be something very special.

1 Like

In drinking the 1910 and 1920 side-by-side, I experienced a noticeable “dryness” in the mouthfeel of the 1920. Is that anyone else’s experience? I’m not at all saying its bad, I enjoyed 1920, but it took me by surprise and I really noticed it.