Old World in the New.

JeromeHan- Derononcourt def makes wines with more unctuousness. But for those that like his old world stuff, they might want to try his Napa stuff out.

I love me some Almaviva. I like its balance better than Cheval des Andes. Cheval can be a gigantic wine.

It’s subjective but I’m not sure that this applies going forward (or has applied for the last couple of years), since I believe they source most of their juice from California now, and at least to my palate the quality has dropped over the years.

And last year, he was very excited about making wine from California grapes.

+1

+2

I’ve been terribly disappointed with the Gruet wines since they removed New Mexico added “American” to the label.

From a knowledgeable wine reporter/blogger:

Mora Estate in Sonoma makes wine in an Amarone style. Here’s their website:”

I have enjoyed a number of wines from World’s End, the Napa project of Jonathan Maltus, of Le Dome/Teyssier fame (https://www.maltus.com/), noting that there has been some tricky variation among vintages.

Jonathan

Pym-Rae

Three I know of in addition to Glenelly

Bouchard-Finlayson in Hemel in Aarde Valley - tie up between Bouchards of Burgundy and Finlaysons of South Africa - excellent Burgundian style (natch) Pinot noir

L’Avenir Estate in Stellenbosch, bought by Laroche of Chablis

Chabivin in Stellenbosch - (sparkling wines) 50/50 venture with Charbout Champagne family of Epernay

Also Rupert & Rothschild, but the Rothschild here is Benjamin and I don’t if he’s a member of the winery Rothschilds

Meo-Camuzet in Oregon DESTINATION OREGON - Méo Camuzet

Don’t know when you visited/tasted, but there have been improvments here. As a completely new operation wines were made from bought-in grapes until Glenellys own vineyards were in production.

Glenelly’s estate red wines are
Lady May which is 85% Cab S, 10% Petite Verdot and 5% Merlot
Reserve (used to be ‘Grand Vin’) which is interestingly a 40/40% blend of Shiraz & Cab S, with 10% each Petite Verdot & Merlot
also a Reserve Chardonnay
so Mme Lencquesaing isn’t trying to duplicate todays Bordeaux, though she says the Reserve is an echo of old time Bordeaux which added Syrah

Theres a second label 'Glass Collection with single variety Cab S. Merlot, Shiraz and Chardonnay

Also,
Escapades in Stellenbosch
Founded and owned by Greek winemakers/winery owners
Vangelis Gerovassiliou of Domaine Gerovassiliou and Vassilis Tsaktsarlis of Biblia Chora Estate