OMSOM packets

I did not find the bulgogi packet very good at all. I doubled the recipe and used two packets, flavor was, meh.
This stuff might be good for my college-aged kids and will send them back to their apartments in the fall with my remaining packets.
Not being a dick, but I’m a decent home cook and i’d rather just cook for real and have stuff taste legit.

your comments are helpful.

1 Like

We hit the Larb.

Ground chicken, cooked stove top…then Larb packets and their rice dust, touch of salt (not really needed,) diced cilantro and mint leaves while the meat was still hot on the stove…KABOOM! Delicious!

We used more Larb than called for: 3 packets for just under 2 pounds of meat, but I think the spice balance was perfect.

Served with accompanying iceberg lettuce cups and papaya.

It impressed me!

I am with Alan, I think people should “over-spice” the meat with the Larb packets.

My wife was amazed by the quality and we will buy more of this mix!

Had it with a 2014 Entre Nous Sauvignon Blanc and the match was quite nice. (I’d call this a fruitier Sauvignon Blanc.)

We tried Lemongrass BBQ on broccoli - a miss. Too much fish sauce for our taste.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I have yet to try the lemongrass BBQ.

I did Bulgogi chicken last night with boneless thighs.
I had a little more chicken than the recipe specified so I tasted the starter and augmented with Gochujang, ginger, sesame oil, and a splash of fish sauce. I cubed the thighs and marinated for 24 hours.

Quick meal and very tasty. I expect that I will doctor all of the starters a bit.

I used the sisig packet with brined tofu last night. (Brining tofu is a new technique for me. So Omsom is expanding my skills.) I have never had sisig before, so I can’t pass judgment on how authentic this was. I can say that it tasted pretty good and I will definitely use the second sisig packet.

did it again tonight w scallions, mint, cilantro, lime juice. Enjoyed. Ordered more.

Also ordering more
Vietnamese Lemongrass BBQ chicken thighs on the Weber Kettle

Next time I’ll add a little heat to the marinade and subtract a bit from the finishing sauce.
I’ll also cook the rice noodles in a fragrant broth and use a ladle of the stock in the bottom of the bowl.
Delicious though.

New order arrived yesterday
Sisig, Mala, Krapow, and a reorder of Bulgogi

Thanks guys for the ideas and pictures.

Sisig
Highly recommended
We did 4 chicken thighs with 2 packets (and red onion)
Served with garlic rice—best yet.

We have the starter pack and have used three. They are all pretty bland and mass market. They need to be doctored. Not much punch. I will try and right a longer review to be more helpful.